A beginner asks questions about synthesis under Xilinx XST

I've realised there are many things I don't know about the synthesis process under Xilinx XST.

The top level of code is associated with a .ucf file, which defines pinout and timing constraints.

There's a wizard for timing constraints. It writes into the .ucf file.

What about sub-modules? The synthesis properties can be defined differently for each sub-module with an xcf file.

You can opt to use .xcf files under synthesis/properties/use synthesis constraint file

Is the timing constraint syntax the same in .xcf as in .ucf?

##### "Daddy, where do baby .xcf files come from?" ######

How do I enter a .xcf file? There's no obvious way to do it from the wizard; it writes .ucf files.

As there seems to be no wizard, must I write constraints into .xcf files manually?

Must I use a text editor and set the file type to .xcf?

When I synthesise the top level, the sub-modules will be synthesised according to the constraints in their .xcf files.

Is that correct?

I've looked at the XST User guide, but I'm still puzzled.

All comments gratefully received.

-- Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.

Reply to
tersono

You may get some help from my blog:

(part 12)

Sven

Reply to
svenand

Many thanks; I've bookmarked the first page of the series.