8051 IP core with JTAG debugger for FPGA?

Anybody here with experiences with syntetising some 8051 core with JTAG debugger in FPGA ? What core can you recommend ?

Reply to
Pszemol

"Pszemol" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@poczta.onet.pl...

there is no standard JTAG debug for 8051 core, quickcores had some 8051 ipcore and jtag debug interface but quickcores is dead, so you cant obtain that source any more

I bet any other available 8051 does not include jtag debugger and even it would there is no debug software that supports that so you would end up writing the debugger and jtag unit yourself anyway

easiest is to take some 8051 core and just connect chipscope ILA's onto the bussses, that sufficent for many cases

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Reply to
Robert F. Jarnot

There are companies like Cast/Evatronix or Digital Core Design who make 8051 with JTAG supported by Keil tools but their core is bloody expensive... the prices go into range of over 25000 USD if you want to use core in more than one project...

I was talking about source-level debugging like it is supported by some silicon manufacturers like Silicon Labs CYGNAL C80F330 Cpu.

Reply to
Pszemol

I have just visited their website and could not find IP cores available. Instead they offer radiation-hardened silicon... I am looking for an IP core to be put into a generic FPGA device.

Reply to
Pszemol

I suggest that you send them an e-mail. The radiation-hardened devices are implementations of the quickcores IP in radiation-hardeneded FPGAs, the only signficant changes being that the external memory interfaces have been modified to operate with radiation-hardened magnetic RAM. I have found them to be helpful in my interactions with them in the past.

Reply to
Robert F. Jarnot

I wondered where thay had gone...

Quickcore had some nice examples, and seemed to offer a Multi-core

80C51, into generic FPGAs, and working on Std EVAL boards.

Does anyone know what's happened to that side of their operation ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Check out the Roman-Jones PB8051 controller core.

I would recommend contacting them directly about your JTAG debug needs.

--------------------------------- Steven K. Knapp Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc. General Products Division Spartan-3/-3E FPGAs

--------------------------------- The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation: The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.

Reply to
Steve Knapp (Xilinx Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs)

Have a look at the oregano 8051 design,

For the generic JTAG debugger look at Temento's Dialite product

they provide vendor independent JTAG debuggers (they instrument at the RTL level).

Hans

Hans

Core?

-- The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited commercial e-mail to my suespammers.org address or any of my other addresses. These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's. I hate spam.

Reply to
Hal Murray

snipped-for-privacy@PolBox.com posted on Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:36:34 -0600:

I have just visited their website and could not find IP cores available. Instead they offer radiation-hardened silicon... I am looking for an IP core to be put into a generic FPGA device."

After Mr. Jarnot's post I contacted Silicon Laude as a radiation-hardened

8051 would be very useful for me, and in under a week was given a very reasonable offer.

Silicon Laude does not make silicon, it sells its intellectual property as an FPGA chip programming file for a specific radiation-hardened FPGA. As any non-radiation-hardened device would be suitable for you, you could ask Silicon Laude to produce a netlist for a common FPGA.

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster

Colin Paul Gloster posted on 18 Mar 2006 17:04:18 GMT:

"[..]

Silicon Laude does not make silicon, it sells its intellectual property as an FPGA chip programming file for a specific radiation-hardened FPGA. As any non-radiation-hardened device would be suitable for you, you could ask Silicon Laude to produce a netlist for a common FPGA."

Indeed, Silicon Laude already mentions that it does this on its webpage

:

"[..] SL80C051-AX001 Functionally equivalent to the SL80RT051-AX001 except that it is implemented in a commercial grade Actel Axcelerator FPGA and plastic 208-pin PQFP package. SL80C051-AF001 Functionally the equivalent to the SL80RH051-AF001 except that it is implemented in a commercial grade QuickLogic Eclipse FPGA and plastic 208-pin PQFP package.

[..]"
Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster