74ls193 in coolrunner

HI All,

Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on a couple of problems?

I am using webpack 4.1 and trying to create a 74ls193. I first basically built it from scratch using the logic diagram from the TTL datasheet but it would not work correctly in a circuit.

Looking at the counters in the xilinx library there is none that clock using the UP or Down like the ls193. They all use up/down pins and then clock with a seperate pin.

Anyone have a solution or idea of how I could design a ls193 with either descrete logic (like I tried) or using the library counters?

I am not a student and I am just doing this for fun and to learn a bit. I have successfully made other TTl chips work (not included in the library) like a 74ls670 (I built this one all discreet also in webpack)

I am not looking for someone to hold my hand (although I am a newbee to webpack and xilinx devices), but maybe someone that has done this before ( made a ls193 or similiar) and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Fred

Reply to
Fredk

The party line is don't-do-that, Do something else, for example use a different part.

The basic rule is that you have to meet both setup and hold times on all flip-flops in your design. That gets tricky if you have a complicated clock distribution system.

Xilinx FPGAs have a very low skew clock distribution system. They promise that the hold time will be 0. (or really that the min prop time will be enough to cover the hold time) That means you only have to worry about the setup time. Their software is smart enough to figure that out and tell you the max speed your design will run at.

Where are your up/down pulses coming from? If they come out of a state machine (flip-flop), then you want to use the same clock that drives that state machine to drive a counter, and use the up/down signals to decide if your counter goes up, down, hold...

It will all make sense after you get used to it. It's much cleaner/simpler for high speed designs.

Hal Murray

I guess I need to read as much as I can to try and understand the FF's in xilinx.......as even using there library counter I can't get a 193's equiv. to work in a circuit designed for a 74ls193.

Fred

basically

it

either

unsolicited

addresses.

Reply to
Fredk

Don't treat the 7400 series as gospel. Those TTL-MSI circuits were defined with two constraints:

  1. make them universal, so that only a limiyted number of different circuits needs to be built,
  2. and fit them in a 16-pin apckage, without giving up the ability to expand.

That was the rati>

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Peter,

I see your point exactly, but for the sake of testing I want to make sure a suitable ls193 replacement works. I am only making one ttl chip at a time and placing it in a working circuit comprised of many ttl chips. I have done this with a ls670 I built in xilinx and a ls191. Which have both worked fine in circuit.

I plan to slowly implement all the other ttl components until its all on a single cpld.

An argument for placing everything on the cpdl at once is probably justified, but I am a newbee and would like to take it in steps to make sure that the individual parts work correctly before trying to debug something very large. I feel that when all the parts work then I can adjust the whole design to better fit or work in a cpld.

Again I am new to this (cpld) so I may have an old style rational.

Thanks,

Fred

basically

but it

either

unsolicited

addresses.

Reply to
Fredk

That's impressive patience, but it is a proven-safe pathway.

Understood.

Taking a close look at the '193, it CAN be implemented in a CPLD, but not in a natural/efficent way.

I see two choices : a) Keep with your method, but when you strike a device like a '193, try and change it to TWO TTL devices, a GATE and a Sync counter '161 series You can verify the new combination, and also easily replace it with a CPLD.

b) If you _must_ duplicate the '193, you will need to create what they do, to merge clocks. ( peek at the Fairchild 74F193 data ) This needs a cross-coupled latch, to set DIRECTION on the Falling Edge, and an AND gate to merge the two clocks. Note the '193 requires that the inactive clock is HIGH, and has min pulse widths on dirn change that are > same direction.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

To show your request was not unreasonable, I should have added that I actually did this in a 22V10 a while ago, for an 'electronic thumbwheel', where you have UP and DOWN buttons above and below a 7 segment display.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim,

Thanks for the input on this... I have started to make a JK flip flop with set and clear to see if I can make it work ;)

Fred

Reply to
Fredk