5V board in a 3.3V PCI slot

Hi, I have a problem with a Dialogic board "DM/IP301-1e1-PCI". I installed that board in a Piv 1.6Ghz Mainboard D845WN and I can't do it starts. The board's power requirements are 22.5W @ 5V, and using PC Wizard I see that the PCI slot used by the Dialogic board has this description: "In Use (32-bit) 3.3v". Is this a problem? Does the board fail to start by this reason? Can I make the board and the Mainboard compatible? thanks! Bye

Reply to
marco p.

PCI slots are either 3.3V or 5V

PCI boards are 3.3V, 5V, or universal (fits in both 3.3V or 5V slots)

PCI slots and cards are mechanically keyed to prevent plugging cards into incompatible slots.

Even 3.3V slots provide 5V power supply.

So the dialogic board must be a 3.3V or universal card or it would not fit in the 3.3V slot.

PCI slots are required to provide 25W total power to each slot, so the dialogic requirements are high, but within spec.

-- Paul Fulghum snipped-for-privacy@microgate.com

Reply to
Paul Fulghum

I am almost sure you don't have any 3.3V on your PCI Slot.

We have designed over 10 different PCI cards for different custom projects based on our komodo board. On the first prototyping board we were using both 5V and 3.3V from the PCI Slot. Now all our new PCI boards use only 5V. Why? just because a large part of motherboards *DO NOT PROVIDE* 3.3V on the PCI slots.

See our Komodo picture to find where is B side (slot side) and A side

You can verify your 3.3V on PCI finger pin no B-25 B- for B side B-31 B-36 B-41 B-43 B-54 A-21 A- for A side A_27 A-33 A-39 A-45 A-53

Just take time to measure the voltage on one of these point !!!

Laurent Gauch

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!

---- See

----

Reply to
Amontec Team

The motherboard claims PCI 2.2 compliance which requires 3.3V be supplied to all slots (on PCI 2.1, 3.3V supply was optional).

Marco:

Take a look at this errata for the mainboard:

-- Paul Fulghum snipped-for-privacy@microgate.com

Reply to
Paul Fulghum

Yes if the motherboard is in the PCI 2.2 spec. But anyway, I would verify the 3.3V !

following CS-009038, your BIOS revision should be P05 or higher !

Larry www.am> Am>

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!

-- See

----

Reply to
Amontec Team

You can't count on having a 5-volt supply on your 3.3V PCI bus. You also can't count on having a 3.3-volt supply on your 5V PCI bus.

The PCI spec specifies that both should be there, but my development team was caught with these "gotchas". The real world implementation of the PCI spec does not guarantee the presence of both supplies in commercial PCs.

If you are able to physically install the Dialogic card in your Mainboard slot, and the Dialogic card requires 5V, then the card must have universal PCI card slot keys. Electrically, however, it won't work if your mainboard doesn't supply 5 volts to the 3.3-volt PCI slots.

They are basically incompatible unless you do some mainboard mods that are not guaranteed to work with the card, and may kill compatibility with other cards.

I'd recommend replacing the card. 3.3V PCI slots are becoming the norm, especially with PCI-X gaining wider acceptance.

Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Thank you very much for your help. I installed successfully another Dialogic Board (D\4pciu) that is universal, and can work with 3.3v and 5v supply. This board has been detected and I can start it. So is the previous board incompatible with my hw? The board has got a green led that swithes on and a yellow led that flushes.... Or is the board broken? what do you think about it? Thanks! Bye Marco

Reply to
marco p.

I'd suggest trying the board in an older PC that has 5-volt PCI slots. It might simply be incompatible with your newer mainboard's 3.3-volt PCI slots.

Best regards, Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Dwayne Surdu-Miller wrote: : I'd suggest trying the board in an older PC that has 5-volt PCI slots. : It might simply be incompatible with your newer mainboard's 3.3-volt PCI : slots.

I found several boards incompatible the other way round: Indicating an "universal board" by having to slots in the connector row, but not running in a boards that only supply 5 Volt. I'm glad, that I have a soldering iron and low drop 3.3V regulators :-)

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

We had to fix our first prototype the same way... a "universal solution" :-)

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

The worst thing I've seen is a PCI card claiming to be universal. But the IO pins were driven by the 5V rail and not the VIO rail. So when you plug it in a 3.3V slot, it starts sending 5V !

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut