Zener Diode ID

This might be the weirdes questen here.... Well I picked up a miex lot of components and it has about 5-6 Zener Diodes... (thats what i think they are) Well the problem is they are sooo tiny and hence I cant read the values.. is there a way I can find out the values? I mean ID the diode.... Now that I think of it... are they even Zener diodes? I know 1N914 comes in glass case too... Is there a way I can find out what this is and what values it holds....

Reply to
Ronak Shah

Are there stripes around the bodies of the devices?

--
John Fields
Reply to

in

Reply to
Ronak Shah

"Ronak Shah" wrote

Get a good ~10x magnifying loupe: Things will just get even tinier and harder to read; Eyesight gets worse as one gets older, not better.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

I took some advice and got my self the magnifying glass.... well I can see the following digits.... on the first one

1N8 14B C

on the second one: TFK

1N4 < Not very clear 733 < 7 is clear the rest I guessed from the blur

Now I cant see the numbers clearly.. so I am guessing these numbers... does anyone recognize these????? If you do... are these zeners or regular signal diodes?? If not do these numbers resemble anything you might recognize ?

I am kinda new to this.....please advice

Reply to
Ronak Shah

My guess would be:

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

This might be useful:

This list may give you an equivalent type that you can find on Google.

That said, the second one is a current type and is on this data sheet:

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

A method I use is similar to Chris Foley's, only simpler if you have a scope. Just put the unknown device in series with a resistor (100K or so) and connect to the AC output of an appropriate transformer.

Look at the voltage across the diode and see what it does. You can see the Zener voltage as a clipped half-sine in the reverse-bias direction. You can thus read the Zener voltage right off the scope face. This makes it quick to characterize lots of unknown parts, including telling which end is which.

Hope this helps!

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Bob Masta

1N8148. Sounds _almost_ like an 1N4148 (Si universal diode); those in my stock are labeled in the same fashion.

Cheers + HTH,

- Joerg

--
joerg dot hau at swissonline dot ch * Lausanne, Switzerland
http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/joerg.hau/

I suspect that is a 1N914B - common small-signal diode.

1N4733 is a 5.1 volt zener, 1 watt
--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca