WTB: Low cost UV EPROM eraser with timer

Lost most of my electronic equipment and am looking for someone that has an old UV EPROM eraser they would like to part with cheap. It needs to be working and have a timer. Please email to snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net.

Thanks!

-Commander Dave

Reply to
Commander Dave

Use a standard fluroescent lamp; for more UV, replace the bulb with a UV bulb. Get a timer at an electrical store.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Take the tube of a sun-ray lamp (from a fleemarked) and connect it via a 1N4007 diode to a 30V power supply with current limiting set to 1A. Start the tube with 250V DC in series with a 10kOhm/5W resistor. The diode will prevent the 30V-power supply from beeing zapped. The ark will burn with ca. 22V and you will smell ozone . Remove the 250V. Cool the tube with a fan to prevent the arc-voltage to jump to 80V (normal condition). EPROM erasure takes 15 minutes.

Heinz Lenk

Reply to
Heinz Lenk

heinzf snipped-for-privacy@web.de (Heinz Lenk) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I have used a fluorescent UV germicidal bulb. Takes a while but it gets the job done. Dont forget to short out the prom pins with something conductive while erasing.

Rich.Andrews

I haven't heard this before. What's the reasoning?

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

John Miles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-central.giganews.com:

To be honest, I am not sure why. I have had issues when I did not have the prom in a conductive carrier while erasing. Now that I think about it, it could be just an old wives tale. All of the prom erasings units I checked have a conductive tray.

Rich.Andrews

Hi!

I've got a Stag SE15 and that doesn't have any conductive material in the tray - trust it to be awkward :-)

It's got slots where the IC legs sit in a flat metal tray.

Yours, Mark.

Rich.Andrews wrote:

Reply to
Mark (UK)

That would be pretty damn necessary. Here's three datapoints from my experience.

A G15T8 Germicidal lamp in an $8 below the shelf fixture, 3 minutes. A tanning bed lamp 45 minutes. A blue filter /BLB "poster lamp", 3 1/2 DAYS. (2716/2764 vintage EPROMS).

The BLB (and BL) lamps are UV enhanced with a peak at 350 nanometers, so an ordinary fluorescent lamp would take bloody forever.

Tanning lamps peak at 300 nanometers or thereabouts, a Germicial has a strong mercury line at 258 nanometers.

Probably most convenient would be to get a G8T5, (or G6T5, depending) lamp that will fit in slimline fixtures or a battery powered safari light, or a G4T5 that will fit into (I think) those plug in the wall night lights. Probably $30, single quantity, at a specialty lamp supplier. Maybe cheaper at a barbers' supply or aquarium supply store. Or E-Bay.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Thanks for all the advice, but I really didn't want to build one. I wound up getting a very cheap one on Ebay for $10.

Cheers!

-Commander Dave

part

Reply to