Windows o'scope

I've been fooling with Oscilloscope for Windows a bit today, and having never seen (or thought about) such software before, and I'm wondering if there's anything else out there having controls that more closely resemble a real (traditional) scope.

BTW, this is nifty stuff. Reminiscent of a plug-in module I had for my TRS-80 coco...a spectrum analyzer.

John O

Reply to
John O

Hi John,

if you look for the velleman kits, they have both pc based oscilloscopes ( single and dual channel) capable of doing 1 giga samples.... ( for what that info's worth ;) They also have pc based signal generator.... look it up if you feel like playing around.

Regards

John

john

Yes, there is. Real O-scopes (preferably Tektronix) are readily available on the used market. You can get a nice 475 or 475A luggable/bench unit for around $200-$250 on Ebay, and get yourself up to

250MHz bandwidth and (if you find one with it) a built-in multimeter. Depending on where you live, you may also have a decent used test gear dealer in your local area.

If you'd prefer a full-blown bench or rackmount unit, the Tektronix 7000 series is some of the best O-scope hardware ever made, and has truly stood the test of Time. Much of it is, once again, widely available through used equipment channels.

The PC, though it does have its uses in the lab, was never intended to be a panacea in terms of good-quality test equipment. Why limit yourself in terms of bandwidth, triggering, etc. when you could get a real 'scope for cheap?

I guess you have to ask yourself: "What am I measuring, and how serious about accuracy am I?"

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee