Water resistant motor

Hi, Can someone please tell me if there's a small, *water proof* DC motor available to buy which I can leave permanently outdoors? Even worse, it will get splashed by the waters in my miniature "lake" projects as depicted here:-

(That's a large *pond* in an isolated location... hence I gave it a pet name of "Lake Europa"!)

Thanks AAI

Reply to
AA Institute

Yes. Torque, RPM, budget?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Try aquarium supply companies.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Any garden centre will do this.

d Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

Hi,

Why does it have to be a DC motor? The pump motors you can get at garden centers would be AC.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

google for fish tank 12v water pump found this:

Ryan Wheeler

Looking at your site, how about a marine sump pump? Might fit the bill, is cheap, avalible all over the place, and could be hidden below the surface of the water.

Reply to
Jeff

On Sunday 03 October 2004 02:10 am, AA Institute did deign to grace us with the following:

You're welcome. :-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hi Ian,

The motor needs to be something very basic, small and 'toy-like' actually. It just needs to run off 4 x AA batteries or a 9 volt PP3. I just want it to keep the water surface stirring enough to stop the pond from freezing over completely, and endangering the fish.

The motors of this type sold in Maplin (UK) are not water-proof, and when the stirring platform takes a dive into the water during a rain storm, the motor just ceases up and rusts. Budget... a couple of pounds!

Thanks Abdul

Reply to
AA Institute

DC motor with magnet on shaft sealed inside a plastic container, outside of the container have another magnet fixed to an impellor.

Motor turns....... impellor follows.

Just an idea!.

Gordon.

Gordon Youd

I read in sci.electronics.design that AA Institute wrote (in ) about 'Water resistant motor', on Sun, 3 Oct 2004:

You can get a plastic box rated IP66 or better from Farnell for a pound or three. Put your motor in it and make your float such that the motor is 150 mm above the water. The motor spindle can be 150 mm long with little problem, especially if you fit a simple guide, not a precision bearing, at the watery end.

John Woodgate

"John Woodgate" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

Or peanut butter jars. IP67 and cheaper ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

What about an aquarium powerhead?

Reply to
Mitch

I read in sci.electronics.design that Frank Bemelman wrote (in ) about 'Water resistant motor', on Sun, 3 Oct 2004:

The lids go rusty.

John Woodgate

| >> You can get a plastic box rated IP66 or better from Farnell for a pound | >> or three. Put your motor in it and make your float such that the motor | >> is 150 mm above the water. The motor spindle can be 150 mm long with | >> little problem, especially if you fit a simple guide, not a precision | >> bearing, at the watery end. | >

| >Or peanut butter jars. IP67 and cheaper ;) | >

| The lids go rusty. | -- | Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. | The good news is that nothing is compulsory. | The bad news is that everything is prohibited. |

Also see

Buy ones with plastic lids...... silly!

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I read in sci.electronics.design that Genome wrote (in ) about 'Water resistant motor', on Sun, 3 Oct 2004:

Actually, glass is a better enclosure material than peanut butter. Greater useful temperature range.

John Woodgate

"John Woodgate" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk...

pounds!

You should cover the lids with peanut butter. The AA institute has a rather limited budget, so we need to be a bit creative.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Perhaps some of them might be DC, but AC vs DC is a good question; it is the size and functionality that seems to be paramount..

Reply to
Robert Baer

There are a few motors actually designed this way...

Reply to
Robert Baer

pounds!

---------- You haven't bought peanut butter for a while- nowadays both jar and lid are plastic.-at least the one marked "kraft" in my pantry is made this way :)

--
Don Kelly
dhky@peeshaw.ca

> --
> Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only.
> The good news is that nothing is compulsory.
> The bad news is that everything is prohibited.
> http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk Also see http://www.isce.org.uk
Reply to
Don Kelly