Twitching display = sign of monitor or graphics card problems?

My monitor's display seems to twitch slightly every ten minutes or thereabouts.

It's just a very small movement but I notice it easily when I am reading the screen. The movement seems to be mostly in the horizontal plane. It never used to do this.

As best as one can guess, is this likely to be a fault with the monitor or with the graphics card?

The monitor is a 17 inch CRT and the graphics card is an NVidia GeForce2. Both are about 3 years old and have worked faultlessly up to now.

My mains power supply seems fine. I recently removed several devices from my PC (three hard drives) so PSU is more lightly loaded than it has been.

Reply to
Franklin

Kibo informs me that Franklin stated that:

In order of probability: (1) Cable isn't 100% seated & screwed in, (2) Bad cable/connector, at either end. (3) Bad solder joint in monitor. Then all the possible electronic faults in the monitor. Your card is very unlikely to be the cause. If you can, try borrowing another monitor to rule out the PC/cable.

  \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Lionel

Can you try another computer (or graphics card) with your monitor? This will determine whether it's your monitor or card. If your monitor still causes the same problem and if its not an electronic fault then it could be that some device probably nearby is 'switching' causing a magnetic field to interupt the display. I had a similar problem when I'd placed the power supply adapter for my MSFF wheel behind the monitor when I was tidying up and forgot I'd put it there.

Alan

Reply to
Rand Al'Thor

nearly went and bought a new monitor this summer, as the same was happening to me only on the vertical plain on one side. Looked for a solution on various tech sites. One fellow had said that the routing of my monitor cable was passing to close to power cables/outlets and sure enough I moved it away and the monitor is perfect for the last 4 months.

Reply to
JAD

Or speaker...

--
Paul
Reply to

Strange you say this. My monitor has been doing this same thing for a few weeks now. Sizzling noise at the same time so probably voltages of 50 volt or less. Cracking noise would be higher voltage area. Sometime I'll take the cover off and trace the dry joint/loose wire.

*********

N Cook

Probably dirt and grime in the monitor.

Reply to
David Maynard

If you wait until "someday" chances are you'll be doing much more troubleshooting and component replacement than if you fix the solder joint now. Bad solder joints are the cause of probably 60% of power semiconductor failures.

Reply to
James Sweet

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**