Strategies for Buying Test Equipment off Ebay

Here's a few observations I've been thinking about when buying test equipment off Ebay..

1) Not only am I bidding against people that actually want to use the test equipment but I'm also bidding against used equipment resellers buying test equipment to resell (on Ebay)!!?? Lets say somebody might not care about the money selling item X.. The seller creates a starting bid of $100.00..Then a used equipment buyer blows away everybody with a $1000.00 bid and then sells it back on ebay parked forever at $1500.00 until a sucker comes along!!

2) Bidding soon may attract other buyers...Bidding late and there's a risk of losing the bid.

3) I suspect UPS still has the highest brokerage rates. Using the USPS is cheaper.

4) I seem to dodge used equipment resellers. They know their sh*t and can appraise for optimum profit. They may even fish with ridiculous prices on depreciated and used items. It's a profit game. You get what you pay for.

5) I suspect the best prices are from those that don't care too much about money and would just like a new home for they're cherished oscilloscope. Unlike the sharks from the used equipment shops.

6) Not to bash the used equipment shops too much, they are calibrating and testing. They also have the capability to scrap units for parts to restore other units. Ironically, their prices are useful to roughly guess at the savings you get by buying from somebody else.

7) I suspect better prices are from those that are selling due to upgrading, moving, company closure, gave up electronics, demo units and let's not forget the possibility of stolen goods.

8) On occasion, some sellers (junk buyers) haven't a clue what they have and just sell at a stupid price.. That's the best. Especially when wise used test equipment buyers are too fat with mountains of equipment and can't force the bid high.

Comments? Additions? Arguments? Observations? Experiences?

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

(1) I've given up on eBay auctions. If it doesn't have a "buy it now" option, I ignore it.

(2) eBay would be much more fair, and robot-tolerant, if they extended any auction with new bids within the last five minutes. Keep adding five minutes until everyone's done bidding.

And to keep it on-topic, I do have a Tektronix 561A that's been sitting idle for waaay too long...

Reply to
DJ Delorie

it now"

extended

Keep

is that a joke ? extend it 5 minutes until everyone is done , thats not fair for a buyer it just lines the pocket of sellers by exploiting the gotta have its and the emotional bidders who do not really have a max value in there head

and OP this topic shouild be in misc or equipment not design ? i would have re-directed it but then you would never have seen it.

so is the 561A considered obsolete ?

Reply to
robb

If buyers are willing to pay more, they should have a chance to do so. The current system allows a robo-bidder to outbid you within a split second of the end of auction, giving you no opportunity to rebid. Removing the "last split second" from auctions also discourages robo-bidders, giving the humans a better chance of winning.

Gah, I hope so. It's all tubes and silver solder, and has about a

1MHz bandwidth. Can't even look at video signals with it. I've got a cheap parallel-port DSO that has more range and capabilities.
Reply to
DJ Delorie

Well, it was 40 years ago.

John

DJ Delorie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@delorie.com:

The 560 series was obsolete at least 15 years ago.(according to TEK)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Look for postings that say "AS-IS" or "FOR PARTS ONLY." Many times, the seller puts these expressions in to cover his/her ass. This is true for many of the large surplus junk e-stores.

Usually, they just have so much stuff, they don't even have time to plug it in. Many people are totally against buying like this, but I have gotten some VERY good deals on units that work fine. Sometimes, I am the only bidder and the price I pay is less than the shipping costs.

But be aware, you should pay no more that 20% of the cost of a "good" unit, with a warranty. That way, if it truly is junk, you haven't lost much.

Reply to
Wayne P. Muckleroy

if you bed high enought (remember the more you can bet...) the robot will not be able to outbid you... if you bet the actual bed plus $1, you will be outbed !

I saw that the final price for an object is almost always twice the price it was half an hour before the end of the auction...

--
Jean-Yves.
Reply to

Primarily because the price a half hour before the end of the auction is totally meaningless.

No intelligent eBay bidder would bid so early.

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster