Re: Device Programmers

Hi,

> > What is the group's opinion on which device programmers they like? > > I have several Logical Devices programmers (PLDs, micros, EPROMs) > which the company does not support any more. > > Thanks for any suggestions or comments you may offer. > > TMT

You're gonna find that problem with almost any device you buy. I made the mistake of buying a Needhams EMP-20 a while back partly because they kept releasing updates. Discovered much to my dismay that while they did support the available PIC processors at the time, I had to buy several of those SIMM personality sticks at $25 each if I wanted to do it. Good thing I didn't, cause they stopped supporting the programmer. They make a very similar USB one. Guess they thought it better to obsolete all the old ones so they could sell some new ones.

If you're making money off it, you should just bite the bullet and keep paying for new programmers. I'd insist on a software reconfigurable one. Those proprietary modules add up fast and you can't use 'em on your next programmer.

I'm finding that for hobby use, the homebrew programmers have better/cheaper (free) support than the commercial ones.

mike

--
Return address is VALID.
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200

mike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net:

My experience with Needhams has been *VERY* different. I bought an EMP20 when they first hit the market (1991 IIRC) Found as couple of things it wouldn't program at the time, gave them a call and had a software update in a couple of weeks. Have caned the crap out of it in the last 13 years and it never missed a beat. Last week I desparately needed to program a

44 pin PSOP device, and while the $105 price of the adaptor was a bit steep, the insistance of using UPS ($80) to send it to NZ was what really put me off (+ the transit time), so I called them up and half an hour later had an excell page of crosswiring info so I could make my own adaptor. That's whai I call SERVICE. Yes I'm grumpy about them obsoleting the EMP20, and will hang onto it until it can no longer do the job, but then I'd buy another Needhams in a heartbeat. M
Reply to
Mike Diack

I recently purchased a Xeltek SP3000 programmer. When you select a device which needs a socket adapter it pops up a window that tells you which adapter is required, shows you which way round the chip goes, then says

"If you wish to construct this adapter by yourself, please refer to the following connection table:-"

Even better service IMO.

Reply to
nospam

Microsoft (via the Windows Logo program) is driving PC manufacturers away from including parallel ports. They've been "legacy" for quite a while and it probably won't be long until commodity PCs no longer have a discrete parallel (or serial) port.

IIRC, the plans are for 64-bit Windows not to provide native legacy parallel port support, at all.

#disclaimer: I own a couple of parallel port Needhams device programmers, in addition to a slew of special-purpose programmers and JTAG gizmos from various sources. To date, they almost all interface to the PC via the "legacy" serial or parallel ports so I'm hanging on to my "legacy" hardware, as well.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Very nice of them to save you the trouble of looking up two publicly available device spec sheets and sending you the crosswire data.

Try asking them for the crosswire data for their simm personality modules. If you get any info, I'd like to have it. The obsolete parallel port EMP20 programs a LOT of devices.

A homemade simm module with some jumpers would let you program ANY device that they support. Too bad they won't tell you what you need to know to use it.

I did start to reverse engineeer it for PIC programming. But tripped over a picstart+ and no longer needed it.

Picstart+ is yet another device that was obsoleted. It's cheaper to build a user-commuinity-supported a universal programmer than to buy the upgrade kit so it can support newer devices.

Of course, if you're in a commercial environment, cost is no object and you can just ignore my rant. mike