RAM chip doesn't always work in Sony Vaio Laptop

I have a Sony Vaio GRZ660 notebook computer. It is out of warranty (more than 2 years old.) It has 2 slots for memory chips. Both chips work fine in 1 of the 2 slots. Recently, I have noticed that for the other slot, the memory chip will only work sometimes. It may have been doing this since I have owned it. I have cleaned the contacts on both the chip and in the socket as best I can. If I press on the socket to deform it slightly before I place the chip in the slot, the computer will boot up and show that this chip is working. However, the next day and days after, the memory isn't recognized. I think the socket slowly returns to its former dimensions, which is too big for the chip.

I think that the slot is slightly bigger than the thickness of the circuit board that makes up the memory chip, because the board feels a little loose after it is placed in the socket..

If this is the case, what is the best solution?

  1. place a thin film of solder on each contact tab (there's about 20 on each side of the board and are close together).
  2. some other solution?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I would try to avoid the solder solution.

Look carefully at the socket for damage to the pins or the socket structure itself.

I would try to check the other side of the PC board, just to make sure that the solder connections of the socket to the board were okay.

I would also check all the board solder joints and lands within a couple inches of where you were pressing for bad connections and broken lands. Check both sides of the PC board.

-

Jim Adney