Problem with Compaq Presario display

Hi. I'm having a problem with my screen, and I hope someone can help. Basically, the display uses slightly over 1/2 the width of the laptop monitor and extends down below the actual monitor, and the image is squished. I don't really know how to explain it, but it's totally unusable without an external monitor. Another problem is that in the display settings, the computer thinks it has a max resolution of

1400x1020, but actually the screen has a max of 1280x1024. I've had this problem occasionally before, when I'd connect the laptop to an external projector and power down without opening the laptop. In the past, one or two reboots would fix the problem automatically. This time, however, the laptop wasn't connected to anything external, and a zillion reboots hasn't solved it. I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem, and everything looks normal when you connect it to an external monitor (but that solution isn't so mobile ;) ). I tried reinstalling the display drivers, but that didn't change anything. Any help would be appreciated! It's an ATI graphics card, in case that helps. Thanks in advance.
Reply to
mikexcohen

Art

oh yes, i tried everything, and in the end fixed the problem. it turned out the be a hardware issue. i had to completely take apart the laptop to get to the video card, and i cleaned it and put it back in snugly, and now it works perfectly again. as an aside, i noticed that the fan had lots of dust in it, and now that i've cleaned that out, the lappy is quieter and the fan blows full speed much less often.

Art wrote:

Reply to
mikexcohen