POTS Modem -> Radio?

Hi all,

I've got hold of a couple of old modems and I was wondering whether anyone has any experience with connecting them to some sort of radio transceiver instead of a phone line. Is it possible? Can you get a connection, or is the signal too susceptible to interference? I've seen some info saying that dedicated radio modems use a different sort of error correction for this very reason, but I'm curious as to whether it would work at all.

Cheers, Adam.

Reply to
Adam Nielsen

I suspect it would be possible, but you're venturing into areas that have already been very adequately covered by RF modems.

Keep in mind that, if you want to go ahead and experiment, you may very well need to get your amateur radio operator's license (due to your use of radio transmitters).

In fact, google for 'Packet Radio' and you'll get a pretty good idea of what's been done in the field.

Happy hunting.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee stated:

I remember seeing a web page about "radio modems" and devices that transmit data from a serial port, over radio... does such beast really exists?

If so, would it work connected to an external PC modem and the receiver connected to a PC' serial port?

Something like: ___________________________________________ / RADIO SIGNAL \ SERIAL -> RADIO SERIAL -> DEVICE RADIO DEVICE | | | |

------------- ------------ COMPUTER SERIAL PORT WITH SERIAL MODEM PORT

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Brazil - 29.55° S / 51.11° W

"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chaos Master