PC-controlled multimeter

I'm looking for recommendations on a computer-controlled multimeter to automate a test procedure. I'd like to be able to have the computer select voltage, resistance, etc., choose various ranges in each, and transmit readings to a PC.

I see a lot of units that communicate, but I'm unclear whether they allow functions and ranges to be set, or whether they just transmit results from the range selected on the front dial.

The one unusual requirement is a high resistance range (e.g.

2000Mohm). ACV/DCV/ohms ranges can otherwise be similar to regular handheld units.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Randy Day

We use a lot of Keithley and Fluke benchtop DVMs in test sets, with ethernet or USB interface. They can set anything under remote control except for switching between the front and rear-panel inputs.

I prefer the Fluke 8845A. It's more stable at microvolt levels, does good AC measurements, and is EMI harder than the Keithleys.

It only measures 100M ohms max, but you could do some simple hack to measure gigohms.

There are cheap handhelds with interfaces, but the interface won't turn the big range knob.

There are also cheap benchtop DVMs, typically Chinese. Might be good enough.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Am 23.06.2018 um 19:22 schrieb Randy Day:

Here

are some programs for UNI-T or similar multimeters.

peter

Reply to
Peter Gierschner

Mooshimeter? Doesn't do resistance, but for remote monitoring of voltage and current it is handy...and perhaps the designer is interested in expanding it to resistance.

Handy tool!

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson
[snip]

Bookmarked, thanks!

Actually we have a Uni-T at the shop; can't remember the model number, though. Given the price of benchtop units that John mentioned, maybe I can run multiple cheap datalogger units switched in with relays; I wondered if there might be a low-cost all-in-one alternative I hadn't seen.

Reply to
Randy Day
[snip]

Wireless doesn't really offer an advantage in this instance, but it's an interesting device.

Thanks.

Reply to
Randy Day