Nulling an HP 431B Power Meter

Can anyone tell me how to utilize the "NULL" feature of the 431B power meter? Have both a 431B and 431C but no manuals, so am unsure if I am making proper use of this front panel null feature.

Reply to
Radra

Radra,

the "Null" feature is used to remove offsets that may arise in the internal circuitry of the power meter. So if you notice a nonzero indication of the meter with no rf power applied to the sensor, simply press the "Null" bottom to get a zero reading of the meter. Probably you may have to repeat this a number of times. You will need this feature only in the most sensible measure ranges, say 100 microwatts downward.

Regards Ulrich

"Radra" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Ulrich Bangert

The carbonbased lifeform Ulrich Bangert inspired sci.electronics.equipment with:

Do not forget to terminate (50Ohm) the sensor first, otherwise the calibration is invalid. It is also advisible to let the 431 warm up first, or you'll be repeating the calibration a couple of times.

Theo

--
theo at van-werkhoven.nl    ICQ:277217131                      SuSE Linux
linuxcounter.org: 99872  Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl  AMD XP2100+ 512MB