Need recco: PC scope

A friend who is handy with computers but not so handy with oscilloscopes wants me to help him interpret what he is seeing on his Tek scope. But I live about 1,000 miles away. It seems like a PC-based scope might be handy if he could e-mail data files to me in some format that I can use to "look over his shoulder" on my PC to see what he's been seeing.

Either screen captures, or several seconds of data playback. I operate in teacher mode with him. Maybe the scope software has a "scope viewer" module for not much money.

I could use recommendations for something under $500

USB

2 channels external sync input along with the usual internal line, edge, etc., sync modes. 8 bits is enough bandwidth: single-shot mode, to 100kHz; in repetitive mode to 1MHz. Reliable, voltage-protected inputs good solid software, portability not really needed.
--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

How about FREE!!!

Point a webcam at the scope. I built mine into a scope viewing hood, but you can use a tripod and throw a towel over it to reduce ambient light. I use it for still screen captures, but there's no reason you can't set up something like net meeting or any one of a dozen other programs to view the webcam remotely. Or you could use VNC or any one of a dozen other remote access programs to view his screen.

mike

--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
FS 512MB 45X SD Flash memory.

Might be kind of a flickery viewing experience at my end -- I don't play around with webcams but the few times I've seen their output it seems to be pretty low frame rate. Has anyone tried to view a 'scope through a webcam?

-- mrjs

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana")
KG6RCR
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Well, yes, I have!!! Scope has persistence. AS long as you don't run the sweep too slow, it don't flicker. If you do run it too slow, there's no way to get rid of it. The webcam is gonna flicker cause of its frame rate. And that's gonna flicker 'cause of the network bandwidth. You can screen capture it and send the file. NO flicker there at all. I understand your concern if you're making a presentation at a trade show. Not so clear why it's a serious problem if you're just trying to help someone fix a problem.

IF you're bent on spending money, I've got just what you need. TEKTRONIX TDS540

Hook that puppy up to GPIB and It will dance to whatever tune you play. mike

--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

Who said it was a serious problem?

It's a little more than my $500 budget . . .

- mrjs

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana")
KG6RCR
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I guess it's all relative. To get me to spend $500 would take a catastrophe of global proportions. Minor inconveniences get a budget of 25-cents or thereabouts. ;-) mike

Reply to
mike

Your point is well-taken. Your idea of a webcam is a good one. I thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion, which might work out just fine!

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana")
KG6RCR
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

A web cam wouldn't do the job? You could see the trace and chat with him about it - and cost is minimal. Otherwise why not get him to video it and send you the video on a DVD?

David

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote:

Reply to
quietguy