Looking for opinions on TEK 2337

Hello All, I am looking for opinions and comments from the group on the Tek 2337 oscilloscope. I have seen a couple for sale recently and was just wondering if there were any major bad points to look out for. The drop down lid put me off and so I did not pay too much attention in the past but now I am reconsidering.

Any fancy ICs and vital parts no longer available? Is it difficult to repair? Overly complex? Extremely compact inside? That sort of thing. I couldn't find out anything at the Tek site on the 2337. Any idea on how old the 2337 might be?

I am not keen on the drop down lid with the digital voltmeter and the B trace triggering controls in the lid. It looks odd to me. Does the flexible cable give much trouble?

From what I have read on these groups an early model 465 was recommended for hobbyists with some repair skills as there were few Tek made special ICs in that model. That is the model I have been looking out for but no luck yet. Maybe the 2337 is OK. I look forward to your replies.

Regards, John Crighton Sydney

Reply to
John Crighton

Depending on what kind of hobbies you have, you might want to look at one of the older Tek scopes. The 547 is a pretty readily-available machine, has 50MHz bandwidth (I've heard it can be pushed to ~75MHz with the appropriate plug-ins), and is easy to repair (no custom ICs). The

465s are nice, too, and I've heard nothing but good things about the 454As. I have a 547, a 647 and a couple of 310As, and I find that for most of my work, the 547 is more than adequate.

Cheers!

-- Tracy Nelson

Reply to
Tracy Nelson

Tracy Nelson wrote in news:n70cb.418079$cF.128654@rwcrnsc53:

I would NOT recommend a 2300 series scope.Full of TEK made ICs,and hard to service.Also,there were not a lot of them sold,so finding parts scopes will be a problem.2337 has the DMM/delay time counter in the lid,and the cable was a problem.HV had problems,too.Plus the CRT screen is kinda small.

2300s were -supposed- to be a 'ruggedized' scope,but were far from rugged,IMO.

465/475 are good scopes,2200 series are good scopes,avoid 2245/46/47 and A,B variants.

Or go for a 7704A or 7904 with 7A26 and 7B80/85 or 7B92 PIs.Even a 7600 scope (and PIs) is better than a 2337.

--
Jim Yanik,NRA member
jyanik@kua.net

I've pushed mine to 3.9GHz. Pretty neat huh?

My 547 is like a DC-3.

Reply to
A E