Looking for boot roms code and upgrade help for a Cisco 2501 router

Hello all, I'm looking for newer code than the 5.2(5) that is currently installed in our old Cisco 2501 router. Does anybody have the binary files necessary for me to burn some newer roms? (we have our own programmer.) I've had no luck navigating Cisco's web site even after registering for access - perhaps this kind of support is no longer available for this old a product?

Also, we are attempting to upgrade the SIMM memory from 4MB to 16MB, however, the router does not seem to see the larger size. I know that it requires 72 pin page mode parity DRAM and it currently "sees" the 4MB installed. We have an assortment of 8MB and 16MB page mode parity DRAM, but it only "sees" 4MB when a 8MB SIMM is installed; and 1MB when a 16MB SIMM is installed. Could this be due to the revision of the boot rom code, or indicative of a hardware failure? I have checked the multiplexed address line A10 (the difference between a 4MB and a 16MB module) on the SIMM module socket with a 'scope, and it appears to operate correctly during the memory sizing test when first powered up. This leads me to wonder whether the boot rom version 5.2(5) supports 16MB modules. Does anyone know?

Well, thanks for reading this, and thanks to anyone that can shed some light.

Please remove the SPAM if replying by email.

Best Regards,

Jay Walling Diagnostic Engineer snipped-for-privacy@comarkcorp.com Comark Corporation

93 West St. Medfield, MA 02052
Jwalling

That's a pretty ancient version of IOS. The upgrade isn't free, and the cost will depend on which feature set you need.

You can get access to the Cisco cco facilities by purchasing a SmartNet contract on anything.

Cisco routers are very particular about the memory they support, and only certain types work reliably. Also, don't forget that you'll need enough flash

memory to support the new load, not just RAM to run it.

Jwall> Hello all, I'm looking for newer code than the 5.2(5) that is currently

Reply to
Mike Berger

Thats a newer version of code for the 2500 platform, most of mine are in 4.x era.

Many of my ancient 2500's do have 16M of RAM, with 4.x of the boot ROM, don't think its that.

You have to be real careful with 8M SIMM's, they need to be a certain type (double-page seems to be stuck in my head about what kind), not just any old memory works in the Cisco's, you do have to match them up pretty well over all. I don't remember having many problems with the

16M SIMMs, but I'd expect problems with the 8M SIMM's unless you are sure you have the right one.

The main issues with BOOT ROM versions have to do with what Flash they can write to. Many older ones don't know about the newer chips and only operate in read-only mode until you upgrade the boot ROM. I never had any issues with any rev boot ROM and putting DRAM in the box.

I guess I'd expect that behavior from a single-page mode 8M SIMM for the 2500 platform, and you possibly might have a bad 16M SIMM. A new guaranteed 16M SIMM for the 2500 platform is $22 at MemoryX though.

On eBay one finds all sorts of boot ROM upgrade kits. Just sending you the code image might be a little on the gray side of copyright issue (anyway, all my images seem to be older than what you have, but I do have some pretty old 2500's in general). At $6 to $10 on eBay though, you could try out a wide variety..

--
Doug McIntyre						merlyn@visi.com
                   Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades

In message , Jwalling writes

Not sure if this is the problem with the memory, but you can provide an 'ID' code for a system to read by setting a combination of four shorting links, you might want to see if they need changing on your modules?

--
Clint
Reply to

Nail, Hammer, Head, Clint my friend. I spent a bit of time at

and registered (for free) to access their specifications. Under MODULE4_4_2 JEDEC Standard No. 21?C outlines the "presence detect" (PD) signals that are connected to pins 67-70 of the SIMM module. I took the 16MB SIMM module that was showing up as a 1MB device, and checking continuity to ground found that all the PD signals were left open by the manufacturer (identifying itself incorrectly as a 8MB 60ns. device when in fact it is a 16MB 60ns device). I then tied PD0 (pin 67) to ground where the 0 ohm resistor shunt should have been. Success! Now it comes up as a

16MB module. Thanks a million. My thanks to Doug and Mike who also helped in this thread as well.

If anyone is interested the manufacturer of the SIMM is Kamel Peripherals, whom we've also had trouble with very recently improperly programming the serial EEPROMs on their SDR SDRAM modules, and forcing them to run at a lower CAS latency than the chips were specified for.

You get what you pay for, I suppose.

Now, if this thing will enable us to go to a T1 connection and switch our voice over from Verizon, we'll be all set! I'll leave that up to our IT guy, though...

Thanks again.