Laptop power adaptor using battery bay and connector?

I have a few laptops which have a broken power connector. It is virtually impossible to repair them. I'm sure I saw somewhere a device which was essentially a power supply which powered the laptop through the battery connector. Does anyone know where I can get one?

They are Dell Latitude D600 and D610 machines.

___________ \ / )_______( |"""""""|_.-._,.---------.,_.-._ | | | | | | ''-. | |_| |_ _| |_..-' |_______| '-' `'---------'` '-' )"""""""( /_________\ `'-------'` .-------------. /_______________\

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Amend your sig please the RFC says FOUR lines only.

Reply to
Gordon

The RFC was written in 1802.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

I got the strangest recording when I called the phone company the other day.
It said, "You have been connected to the correct department on the first try.
This is against company policy. Please hang up and redial."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

With an attitude like that you have probably now killed your chance of getting a sensible answer from usenet.

I've never seen what you are looking for.

Try asking around the forumns. They may even like your sig :-)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

In my experience there are very few that care about things like sig size and line length any more.

A virile, young Italian gentleman was relaxing at his favorite bar in Rome, when he managed to attract a spectacular young blonde. Things progressed to the point where he invited her back to his apartment, and after some small talk, they retired to his bedroom and made love. After a pleasant interlude, he asked with a smile, "So, you finish?" She paused for a second, frowned and admitted, "No." Surprised, the young man reached for her and the love making resumed. This time she thrashes about wildly and there are screams of passion. The lovemaking ends, and again, the young man smiles, and again he asks, "So, you finish?" And again, after a short pause, she returns his smile, cuddles closer to him, and softly says, "No." Stunned, but damned if this woman is going to outlast him, the young man reaches for the woman again. Using the last of his strength he barely manages it, but they climax simultaneously, screaming, bucking, clawing and ripping the bed sheets. The exhausted man falls onto his back, gasping. Barely able to turn his head, he looks into her eyes, smiles proudly, and asks again, "So, you finish?" Barely able to speak, she whispers in his ear, "No! I Norwegian."

Reply to
Peter Hucker

line length any more.

Obviously some here do, or you'd have got a polite answer by now.

The last time I saw anything likw what you describe was the optional mains adaptor for a Panasonic camcorder in about 1990.

Of course, you *could* always design & build one yourself using off the shelf components from Maplins. It's not rocket science.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Reply to
John Williamson

line length any more.

I've got loads of polite answers, not necessarily all in here, I posted the query to loads of groups.

That rings a bell. It's possible that's what I'm thinking of.

It's the battery connector that would suck. Maybe I should dismantle a dead battery?

BTW, I'd have to emulate a battery - the laptop will expect to be able to communicate with it to know how full it is, and no I'm too un-knowledgable and lazy to build something that complex.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

For our 10th anniversary my wife and I vacationed in Hawaii, where we went
snorkeling.  After an hour in the water everyone got back on the boat, except
for one beautiful young woman and me.
As I continued my underwater exploring, I noticed that everywhere I swam, she
swam. I snorkeled for another 20 minutes.  So did she.  I climbed back in the
boat.  So did she.  I felt very flattered and, as I took off my fins, asked her
coyly why she had stayed in the water for so long.
"I'm the lifeguard," she replied matter-of-factly.  "I couldn't get out until
you did."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

In news: snipped-for-privacy@fx62.mshome.net, Peter Hucker typed on Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:52:05 +0100:

I believe most laptops figure out how much of a charge the battery is in by its output voltage. So I don't think that would be a problem. The tricky part would be if you ever used both DC inputs at the same time. Then the stock one just might want to charge the battery emulator. But I believe this wouldn't be a problem for most people.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 8GB

I was assuming the other connectors on the battery were there for a reason. Are you sure about the laptop not needing them?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

You are the only person I know that has ever had a brain tumour removed from
their arse.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

It is hard to say depending on the design. But I have done it before and it worked fine. The other connectors are usually there for safety and the charging circuit which you don't need anyway.

Although keep in mind, the AC adapters are a few volts higher than what the battery voltage is. And I wouldn't feed too much higher than the battery. So I wouldn't feed the original supply into it. But whatever supply you use, it should be well regulated.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 8GB
Windows XP SP2 and Xandros Linux
Reply to
BillW50

Are you sure about the laptop not needing them?

They're there to let the laptop charging circuitry monitor the battery temperature while charging, usually. Sometimes, there's a way for the laptop to monitor individual cells, but that's rare.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Reply to
John Williamson

Why over complicate the situation, just buy another board off Ebay £40 for the D600

Reply to
Fixer

If it were me doing it, I'd have just set a regulated supply to whatever voltage it said on the battery & used a couple of clips to connect it up. The OP wants a more elegant solution. Alternatively, I'd have bought another laptop of the same type & kept mine for spares.

--
Tciao for Now!

JOhn.
Reply to
John Williamson

Agree. Even further I'd have sourced and replaced the socket - or found someone experienced to do it...

You can find them for £4 on eBay including post.

e.g item 160201497944

Service manual for the D600 here

Useful website

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C

I'll give it a shot. The laptop is otherwise useless anyway (apart from spares

- but then I've got lots with the same spares now!)

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

A single blonde pregnant girl goes to the grocery store.  A couple that she
knows notices she's pregnant.
The lady asks her, "Whose baby is it?"
The blonde says, "Well, I don't know they are going to do blood tests, but I
think it's mine."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

If I could remove the board easily, I could simply replace the power connector.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense. Mr. Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

The guy who said he couldn't go that far down the layers of the laptop used to be in power supply design and is pretty experienced.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick boxing.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

He probably has valid experience but little patience for things that initially look pasted together. Fortunately they are not.

Both you and him and the service manual could get this sucker apart and do the necessary. Just work on your oldest one first, don't lose the screws and other small bits (I use clip'n'seal plastic bags), zap circuitry with finger static, work on the carpet, have other distractions, leave food inside or apply force in the wrong direction. Take your time ;-)

Once you've done a few, then the process isn't as duanting as it first seems. May even make you some money one day ...

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I give him all the jobs I can't be bothered doing (usually dismantling printers)

- he has a lot of patience (more than me anyway). For some reason he reckons they are impossible to put back together afterwards. But I'm going to have a go at proving him wrong. He'll hate that.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

They say confuscious does his crosswords with a pen.
Reply to
Peter Hucker