Kenwood PR654 Regulated DC Power Supply - cannot adjust voltage

Hi, I have bought a Kenwood PR654 Regulated DC Power Supply and am having problems getting it to work as expected. I would have thought that I could use it to adjust both amps and voltage simultaneously, is that a misconception? When I plug it in I can adjust the amps but voltage is always at a max which is much higher than the max 40v that it is rated for. Doesn't seem to matter what buttons I change, it will always give max... Any ideas? Is it garbage? Thanks Gabriel

Reply to
GabrielW

Gabriel-

I'm not familiar with that model. I assume you are referring to setting either a constant current or a constant voltage. The problem is that both can not exist at the same time if your load varies at all.

I believe the expected use of such a power supply is operate it at a desired voltage, with current set to an upper limit. If your load resistance goes below a threshold, voltage will be reduced so that current does not exceed the preset maximum.

Therefore, you would turn off the current setting mode after the desired current limit has been set. The output should then go back to a constant voltage unless load current exceeds the limit.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Thanks Fred, It was entirely me not knowing anything about the kit that caused the problems. On the back of it there was 10 connectors that could be "jumpered". It was set up to control a motor of some kind and when I removed the jumpers everything worked as expected. (for this particular model 3 and 8 should be unjumpered for this to happen ;-). ) /Gabriel

Reply to
GabrielW