Is this oscilloscope working ? or is it broken?

In these photos I can adjust the dot(s) along the vertical axis. Although the Plugins are put in incorrectly.

In these pictures, I can only adjust the dot(s) along horizontal axis. This time the plugins are in the correct slots on the mainframe. However I can not for some reason move the dot along the vertical axis, but only along the horizontal. I did try to turn the knobs label as "offset" and "position", those two big knob on the left Plugin.

I had a chance to go to the library today and look at a book about using a scope. In it, it talks about you have to turn the TIME/DIV knob to the X-Y position on the dial before you can change the vertical and horizontal position of the trace. But on my scope, the TIME/DIV knob has no X-Y dial position.

I think that the scope itself is ok as far as being able to place the dot anywhere on the screen, as can be shown in the previous pictures I took. So it is possible the plugins themselves are bad. Or perhaps there are something else I forgot to set which would have made this to work.

I am very at it, and would hope someone can help me get this thing working or at least determine for sure that its not working so I can describe to a repair shop what's wrong with it.

Reply to
Sam Kaan

Firstly, i believe one must have at least 3 plugins installed; i may be incorrect. There is no such thing as an "incorrect" position for a plugin; any compatible, working plugin will work in any one of the 4 positions. All

4 can be amplifiers, or traces, or samplers, or spectrum analyzers, or...any mix you want. One can move the spot/trace position at *any* time, so ignore that part of what you read.

Now look carefully on the two goups of white, wide buttons on the mainframe. On the left they are clearly labelled: LEFT, ALT, ADD, CHOP, RIGHT. These select the Vertical Mode, and for all of the "OSCn" photos, you have CHOP selected, when there is clearly only one plugin installed in the vertical bays. The 2 dots as shown is from the CHOP mode. But if the sweep plugin was working, one dot would be seen, and a vertical trace would also be seen. On the right they are clearly labelled: A, ALT, CHOP, B. These select the Horizontal Mode, and for all of the "HORIZn" photos, you have the proper bays selected (LEFT, B).

Except for the 7B52 Dual Time Base, i cannot see the plugin type, as the plastic "pull tab" used to remove the plugin is missing. Double check that these plugins are indeed 7-series and not 5-series (i do not know if 5-series will even totally plug into a 7-series mainframe).

In any case, it appears that the delaying sweep plugin is not working, as it should "free-run" with the Auto or P-P Auto modes (which you have clearly chosen). If it was working, one vertical trace would have been displayed with the sweep in a Vertical bay, and one horizontal trace would have been displayed with the sweep in a Horizontal bay.

Reply to
Robert Baer