How to measure Pulse Current?

Is there any suggestion how to measure Pulse current up to 10KA and
pulse wide below 10mA?

Re: How to measure Pulse Current?

below 10ma,a clip-on P6021,P6022(AC)current probe,or a TM500/AM503/A6302
system,DC-50 Mhz BW. The AM503/A6303 probe measures high currents (IIRC,up
to 100's of A),but not 10,000A.

you may need some sort of current transformer for those really high
currents.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
Re: How to measure Pulse Current?
   *All* of those probes are current transformers...
   At 10,000 amps one would have a problem in preventing saturation; the
secondary winding resistance probably cause enough IR drop that the
current would be low enough so that the current (amps) times turns (=
ampere-turns) would reflect back to the primary (of one turn) so that
the net core flux would be excessive.
   Now, it might be done with a *large* core and (relatively) large
diameter wire (to reduce that IR drop)...
   So, start with a turns ratio of (say) 10,000 to 1, meaning the
secondary has 10,000 turns.
   For insignificant IR drop, the secondary should be no smaller than #20.
   From that, figure out the cross-sectional area taken for 10,000
wires, thenmathematically "spread" it out over a torus (if that is the
shape of the core) or rectangle (if "C" or "E" type core).
   That should give you a rough idea as to the minimum core size (will
need to be larger due to insulation, etc).

Re: How to measure Pulse Current?

The AM503 probes are Hall-effect devices -with- a current transformer for
hi-freq response.
And they still are PROBES(based on transformers,yes.)
,not a stand-alone transformer.

They also can be slipped over a conductor and not have to be hard-wired
into the circuit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

   I believe this is the first time that "stand-alone" was mentioned...

Re: How to measure Pulse Current?

Rogowski coil?

Re: How to measure Pulse Current?

   Wow! Used Google to find out what that was, and the first hit, the
PDF  is very illuminating and useful.

Re: How to measure Pulse Current?

I had a summer job at Culham lab years back and we used to make
these things out of stripped Hackethal delay cable.   I don't
suppose you can still get Hackethal or anything like it.
Last year I built myself a tiny Rogowski coil by soldering eight surface
mount inductors into an octagon.  It worked too!

Re: How to measure Pulse Current?

CT..
  Current Transformer.
   you simply pass the load through
it., the terminals give you a ratio..
something like a 500:1 comes to mind.
  also there is the concern of the pulse
width time your looking for ?
  also you have Tranducers that can convert
to 4..20, voltage or digitial output etc..

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Site Timeline