Homebuilt bipolar PROM programmer for 82S23 PROMs?

Hi there,

I am currently in the unlucky situation of having to duplicate two different 74ALS188 (32 x 8) bipolar PROMs to a whole bunch of a dozen new 82S23 bipolar PROMs. Unfortunately, I don´t own any programmer which is capable of handling such bipolar PROMs. Well, is there any affordable homebuilt PROM programmer available on the net which can handle 82S23 PROMs? Any hints to schematics and PCB layouts are highly appreciated.

TIA Joachim.

Reply to
Joachim Wunder

Andromeda Research

has a nice cheap programmer (Eprom+) that can handle both of your PROMs. It's affordable at $289.00 USD. Bipolar PROMs require an adapter in addition to the programmer. If you buy their programmer, the manual includes full documentation for the programmer and the adapters, including schematic and parts values. If you don't want to spend the money for the adapter, you can build it yourself.

I have one of those programmers, but I don't have the bipolar PROM adapter. I had one of their early models, which didn't support a lot of the newer EEPROMs and ucontrollers. They have an upgrade policy that gives you a $50 discount toward the cost on the newer EPROM+ programmer. When I called them to buy the upgraded programmer, they told me that they had more of the old carcasses than they could handle, so they allowed me to keep the old model in addition to giving me the $50 discount. Not a bad deal.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

don't

Thanks for your advice, Dave. Well, I´d have to program not more than

10 pieces of N82S23N proms (for private use), so I´m not sure whether an investment in a commercial PROM programmer will be worth the money. But, anyway, I´ll take a deeper look into Andromeda Research´s programmer. Even that I´m located in Germany.

Well, if someone here has ever built his or her own homebuilt PROM programmer, please let me know.

Thanks, Joachim

Reply to
Joachim Wunder

Hallo Joachim,

Is it the way how to program the 82S23 you are looking for or are you looking for a ready to build programmer ?

If it's a solution I can program the proms for you but you have to pay for the return post. I am located in Holland.

You can mail me or reply here in German if you want.

Reply to
KC

Hello KC,

I am actually looking for schematics or better a PCB layout to just built my own homebuilt PROM burner. I know that in Elector 80 magazine (summer of 1980 I have heard) such a PCB layout incl. schematics and description was published. Unfortunately, I don´t own that Elector magazine from these good old days... Does anyone here does?

Thanks for your kind offer. Well, I think that I maybe could arrange a solution with a friendly guy in my area. But that´s not yet absolutely organized or fixed at all.

Thanks. Danke. For the sake of this NG´s readers I will continue in English language. :)

Kind regards, Joachim

Reply to
Joachim Wunder

I remember that programmer. Could program only one PROM type and one bit at a time. That's an average of 128 bits - and make no mistake. May still have the article somewhere, but only in Dutch. If you are interested, let me know.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Hi Petrus,

yes, if you have that Elector article from August 1980, pp. 17ff with a useable PCB layout for manufacturing a homebuilt PCB that would be great, even if it is in Dutch only. Could you scan it and send it to me? My address in current reply-to field is not valid anymore, but if you could send me to WAPEricsson1compuservede in pieces smaller than 5 MByte chunks I would be VERY thankful !

Thanks a mil and kind regards, Joachim

Reply to
Joachim Wunder

Take a look at

and see if what they offer fits your needs. I found the site while Googling tonite and remembered your post. Looks like the site has fallen into a bit of disrepair, but most of the links are still good. The images have been moved or deleted. The email might work... doesn't cost anything to contact the company and see if their programmer will do your job. Looks like they can supply PC board, uC, parts, etc in kit form or ala carte. Prices aren't bad.

Cheers!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

I have a PDF file of what you need from an old Signetics data book.

Post an email that can accept a 1.7 mega byte PDF file attachment.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

Hi there,

if you could send it to WAPEricsson1compuservede it´d really be fine.

Thanks a mil in advance, Joachim

Reply to
Joachim Wunder

Would that happen to be the Generic I programming specification? I've been after a copy of that for ages - I've got a HTMLised version, but it's missing Table 1, which contains the timing and voltage parameters for all the different Signetics PROMs :-/

Think you could send a copy to snipped-for-privacy@philpem.me.uk ?

Thanks.

--
Phil.                         |  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
usenet07@philpem.me.uk        | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain

hi Joachim,

the correct name of the magazine is elektor. They are still very much alive and active, seee

Their sales dept suppy photocopies of back articles. Email adress should be on the site somwehere.

Good luck

Richard (UK)

Reply to
homelab

Hi Richard,

thank you very much. I already contacted them yesterday (in Germany) and they think they can supply me a copy of the German release of the article for a small fee of ?3,40.

Kind regards Joachim

Reply to
Joachim Wunder