Error of % + digits?

It's not a mill. It's mil - single l. It means, and has always meant, a thousandth of an inch. It's not an Americanism.

Reply to
Pimpom

In the UK "mill" means millilitre.

If you want to refer to fractions of an inch, then it is /always/ "thou", i.e. thousandths of an inch.

In the UK "mil/mill" /never/ means 0.001".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Is it the controller that's off by 2C when it warms up?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

My bad. This is the first time I heard that the mil is not used as the unit for .001" in the UK. (I'm *not* an American).

Reply to
Pimpom

Yes. The controller is in the conservatory in direct sunlight. The sensor is on a long wire in a cooler room (the living room) which is what I want to control the temperature of. The controller's reading goes up by 2C if it gets really hot, but the AC blows across it, so it doesn't do it wrong for long.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes it does. My neighbour's a tradesman (in Scotland) and says "mill/mil" (I don't know which as they sound the same in speech) as shorthand for millimetre. As in "that kitchen unit is 600 mill wide". Since we don't use inches for such things in the UK, there's no confusion.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you're not American why did you say "my bad"? Your bad what? Finish the sentence!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I only expect such ambiguity from Australians. They say "6 Ks" to mean 6 km. I say the complete words. Kilometre, millimetre, millilitre, etc.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So now you're a grammar Nazi? This after I (and others) spent considerable time and effort patiently explaining to you a concept that many/most readers here probably already knew, and would quickly grasp if they didn't. Sheesh!

And is there a law against non-Americans using an American expression? FYI I'm none of these: American, British, Australian or Canadian - or a citizen of any other country where English is natively spoken.

Reply to
Pimpom
[...]

Just drop it. There are better things to do than to argue with a cantankerous teenager. If a conversation turns into a source of irritation, the best way is to simply drop out.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Precisely.

That was my decision too. An easy decision given the moniker "Commander Kinsey" is either someone that has too high a regard for themselves, or is indicating that they intend to troll.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The context there is key too. While I'd not measure a countertop or whatever in millimeters, it would make no sense that anything in a kitchen would be measured thicknesses of paper.

We (in the US) use "guage" for wire and sheet metal. We also use "guage" for measuring really thin stuff like plastic films. In the last case, it's a completly different unit, but with proper context won't confuse anybody.

Question for the metric woodworkers. Does anybody cut a piece of wood to

317mm or 429mm or other off numbers when building a house or handing a door or installing a countertop?
Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Whyever not? Even the cheap ones usually state you can use them up to 1000 volts. I've used them on 240 and 415 just fine. I used one on 2000 volts once, and it just failed inside, not even smoke or noise.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

TEN!? Surely that's more than the number of digits it has? In which case it has no accuracy at all.

You oughta complain about that low voltage. Some equipment needs at least 220.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How well do these things work measuring dodgy waves like from a cheap UPS or invertor?

I've replaced outlets (240V, not the namby pamby USA stuff) without turning off the power - other outlets on the same circuit were being used in the office and I saw no point in interrupting them.

Just keep your fingers off the metal things and don't short stuff together. Wear goggles and gloves if you want to be a girl about it.

Try shorting two phases together with 500A cables. That causes lots of smoke, a fire alarm, 3 fire engines, and a visit from the power company. Do not ever employ Irish electricians.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey
208 is a standard three phase voltage. It is three 120 volt lines phased 120 degrees apart.
Reply to
Michael Terrell

me

eater

uch a

at

or

the

120

one

used

fore.

.

for

ff

,

on

put

nty

I find it crazy that you can select volts and have the wires in the amps= holes. The switch should change the contacts. I've broken a meter doi= ng that, just measuring the voltage on a car battery. =A3100 meter, but= UNFUSED FFS! At least the mA range was fused, but they couldn't be bot= hered putting in a 20A fuse for the big range....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes I've heard of them, they're a measurement scale for pansies.

Safety movies designed to sell Fluke meters, and you fell for them hook line and sinker.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because I have seen what damage can be done with those circuits.

I have also seen some safty films that the Fluke meter company put out. Say you take your HF meter and by mistake have it on the ohms or amp range. Normally an internal fuse would blow. However there is enough power in the circuits to arc over the fuse, the meter leads instantly almost explode or look like an arc welder. If you have one hand on each lead it is possiable the insulation will melt off and maybe into your hands. You could also become part of the circuit and fry.

Look here around the 6 minuit point.

Ralph Mowery

No, I have actually seen a few blowups and the results of some others.

Have you ever worked at a place that has lots of 480 volt 3 phase equipment ? I did before retiring. One learns to respect what can hapen.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery