Electronics hobby and starting cars..

Sometimes my habit of messing with things electronics becomes useful.. When I got in my 41-hour-parked car, I was greeted with very dim interior lights and no starter action at all. =20

I connected my old battery charger:

connecgted it (properly) and plugged it in. I was greeted with a reverse-pegged meter (Yes, the red clop was on the positibe terminal), and a loud buzzing sound, and then smoke. =20

A later test on the bench with the cover off revealed that the transformer was the smoke source. =20

I went upstairs to get my motorcycle key, to use it to boost the car batt enough to start it (Risky to the MC batt) but then realized I had another charger:

Bought cheap at the close-out of the local Radioshack.Com store.. I set it 14 volts open circuit, current limit to about 7 amps, then connected it. Just waiting now.=20

Doug Warner

as they say in college! , that will learn Yeah!

Reply to
Jamie