Eicocraft Watizit!

I have in my collection of electronics, dating back quite a few decades, a device that I can not find any info or can even figure out what it is. It's a small aluminum box with a Eicocraft label on it. It has one momentary contact button, a speaker, a 9V clip and an insulated post for possibly an aerial of some sort. It's definatley RF as it has a small variable cap and a 6 winding coil. The board has T601-100 on it. The case has nothing but the Eicocraft label on it. It looks to be maybe from the 60's. The built in speaker was toast so I replaced it with a new one but still am not getting anything out of it. I am finding no reference to this device on the internet (by the number on the board) and am at a loss as to where else to turn except all you learned Circuitheads. Any ideas? Thanks,

-Kevin (Fellow Circuithead(though maybe not as learned))

Reply to
Kevin Glover

Kevin Glover prodded the keyboard with:

Hi Kevin,

Just a couple of WAG's

I suspect that it may be an FM transmitter used as a bug, the loudspeaker being used as a microphone.

The only other possibility that I can think of, is a Fox, as in Fox & Hounds, where portable radios are used to locate the Fox and again the loudspeaker is used to generate modulation from the background noise.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

Thanks Baron, I think that's on the right track. I found this

check page 39. It's similar but not exact. Yes it semms to be a small transmitter. My Mic in it is dead so I may try to find a replacement and see if it still works. Thanks again,

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Glover

Kevin Glover prodded the keyboard with:

Thanks Kevin, interesting link. I assume that you noted the advert on page two !

I haven't built one for many years. They were fun :-) They got put in bean cans, dropped into drain pipes even hidden in haystacks. They didn't always get found. Usually because the battery went flat.

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

You need access to old catalogues from major electronic parts suppliers from the 60s. Something like my old Electrosonic catalog from around

1965 that lists tons of things like this as well as the specs for weird old parts that haven't been archived yet anywhere I can find.

My Electrosonic catalog (from 1968) only shows EicoCraft test equipment. Pity!

Search ebay for eicocraft catalogs - I imagine they turn up from time to time - nothing on at present though.

John :-#(#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Great Googley Moogley! That is the device I've been asking about! I didn't even notice page 2. Thanks Baron for pointing that out to me.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Glover

Kevin Glover prodded the keyboard with: