Canon Bubble-jet printers

   I am interested in obtaining a working Canon BJC printer, series 4000
preferred.
   Please contact me if you can help.

   Thanks.
R. Baer

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers

Found one listed at eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannon-BJC-4000-bubble-jet-printer/323685396629?hash=item4b5d273095:g:j~UAAOSw8a9cMtYJ

Found one listed at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-BJC-4300-Printer-capacity-Parallel/dp/B0000C7938/ref=sr_1_1?crid=UPYJ3YORYHYN&keywords=canon+bjc-4300+printer&qid15%51845714&s=gateway&sprefix=canon+bjc+4%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1

First contact the sellers to make sure they are selling a working
*printer* and not a non-working printer for parts.

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers
    Thanks.

   The Amazon listing clearly states "for parts". At the price
requested, that is a no-go.
   Ebay listing said it was functional when taken offline, but not
(recently) tested. Seller gives NO warrantee and refuses return.
Furthermore shipping is $50, and the e-Bay "moneyback guarantee" is less
useful that mammary appendages on a boar hog of male persuasion.

   From personal experiences, e-bay is less trustworthy than Miz Clinton.

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers

Depends on to where you have it shipped.  It would be $36 to me.  Does
seem high but then this is probably a one-off sale, non-commercial
shippers often require double boxing for these items, it's bulky and
they rate on dimensions.  Since you know something about this printer
since you asked specifically for this one, you should know how much it
weighs and its dimensions, and then add to the dimensions for bubble
packing, and check the shipping cost at USPS and UPS Ground.  Then
you'll know if the shipping charge is excessive.  You make it sound like
shipping is high but the cost may be reasonable depending on where they
are, where you are, and how it is being shipped.

Also, some sellers will have a low price but overcharge on shipping.  If
you find the shipping from the seller to you is excessive, report it to
eBay.  They may kill the auction and the seller will realize they can
get banned for this practice.  I've done that several times.

I noticed the seller is foolishly using USPS Priority Mail.  There is no
reason this item needs to be shipped in 2 days to you.  Priority Mail is
very expensive, especially for large items.  It's pricey for small
items.  Contact the seller and ask what the price would be for USPS
Ground or UPS Ground.

When I went to USPS.com, put in the dimensions of the printer (and added
3 inches in each dimension for bubble packing) and the weight (at 10
pounds which is a couple pounds more than just the printer), USPS
Priority Mail would be $91 to me from the seller.  USPS Retail Ground
was $29.  I didn't bother checking with UPS Ground.  Go check for
yourself what shipping might cost.  You won't get the business rate of a
trucking company delivering a pallet of a hundred printers.

I've used the eBay Buyer protection about half a dozen times.  It has
been helpful with buyers that don't respond, buyers that have
disappeared, or when I can show my case to eBay that the buyer
misrepresented their item.  In fact, eBay has effected the Buyer
Protection when I didn't even know I needed it.  A seller had sold off
instances of a volume license which is illegal.  They refunded me before
I knew there was a problem.  Likely someone else reported the illegal or
pirated copies, so eBay refunded all buyers from that seller (and they
kicked off the seller).

As is any online e-tail site.  When have you ever been absolutely sure
of anything you buy online?  I don't get that even with Newegg or
Walmart.  It's caveat emptor: you have to do some research, not just
grab stuff on impulse.  I've bought 20+ CR-2032 coin cell batteries
twice from eBay; however, I researched online what the retail packaging
should look like to compare against what the seller shows.  And I've not
had a problem using eBay's Buyer Protection -- as you claim you have
(but your description makes it sound like you got screwed once and made
an assumption that would always be the case).  I've bought many items
from eBay sellers and been generally pleased with most transactions.
Yes, there have been a few bad ones, but I've also gotten bad produce
from my local grocer.  Nothing's perfect.

I'm curious.  Why do you want and old, used, and worn but working
printer when you could get a new one and probebly with more features?
What does buying an unsupported and used printer get you that you cannot
get with a new printer?  Unless you find a local seller to eliminate the
shipping cost, finding the old printer elsewhere means you do get stuck
with shipping charges.  You're stuck with using Craigslist or other
resale sites for local sellers (and no one here knows where you are).
The problem with the vast majority of Craigslist sellers is that they
are way too attached to their wares and overprice them.  They'll want
90% of the new price for a used item but without the mfr warranty.
Craiglist often includes a large metro and its suburbs, and the driving
and gas will cost you lots of time and some gas money for a local pickup
-- unless you add your city or suburb and some of the surrounding
suburbs in your search or use their miles-from-zipcode filter to reduce
the distance for a "local" pickup.  I found some Canon inkjets being
sold at Craigslist but that's irrelevant to you since I cannot search
the site for your area.  There was a separate domain for eBay for
local-only auctions (http://www.ebayclassifieds.com /).  I never had any
luck with that site: not much to choose from.  They got rid of it
(ebayclassifieds.com redirects to ebay.com); also see
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/selling-classified-ads?id41%67 .

For about $5 to $10 more than just the shipping cost to me for the used
eBay printer, I can get a new Canon inkjet printer from Walmart and have
it shipped free to me (total sale must be $35, or more, so the new cheap
inkjet printer and a set of spare cartridges would exceed that).  If
there's a problem, well, there are local Walmarts where I can return the
item rather than paying to ship it back.

Is it that the BJC 4000/4300 printer has a straight paper path?  That
is, you don't want the "paper" to get bent going through the printer?
There are lots of straight feed printers, like for those that want to
print on cardstock.  From the online pics that I've seen for the Canon
BJC-4300, it has less bend then inkjets that siphon out of a underside
storage tray but it was still not a straight-feed printer (there was
still some bending).  I saw one guy in a forum finding the Canon 9000
worked for printing on 1/32" balsa.  Several used ones are listed at
eBay (the new ones are much more expensive).  That user thought the
Epson 3800 for work for him, too.  New (unused, not refurbished)
straight-feed printers seem expensive.  Rear-feed printers albeit not
truly straight-feed, like your Canon BJC-4300, might also work for your
unspecified usage and are cheaper, like $35 (see
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA-TS3122-Wireless-All-in-One-Inkjet-Printer/542288238
and
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA-MG2522-All-in-One-Inkjet-Printer/108208974 ).

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers
   I have been screwed to many times on e-Bay, both as a buyer and as a
seller.
   The e-Bay "watchdogs" always screw me even when i have
incontrovertible proof of my position (eg: Sony DVD R/W actually over 2
lbs instead "only a few ounces", and actual cost of shipping about $20
instead of $1).
   The particular seller said "no returns" and did not own up to actual
condition.
   Not worth the total hassle even if was free.

   I have a number of ink cartridges for the BC 4100; cartridges for the
newer printers are as expensive or more and AFAIK cannot be refilled.
   Furthermore,one cannot do a DOS print (you know, COPY TextFile.TXT
LPT1:).
   Oh,yes..a number of those fancy printers do not work if the color
cartridge is missing or empty.

---

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers

If you don't want to pay for shipping, you're stuck looking for a local
seller -- and it highly unlikely anyone in Usenet will be within 30
miles of your location and with a working Canon BJC 4xxx printer and who
will guarantee its functionality.

If online local sales/auction sites don't pan out, you might have
salvage or refurbish or recycling centers for electronics or computers
that might have the old printer.  I've found swap meets are mostly for
foraging for old junk that you might utilize but not if you are looking
for something specific.  Even if you don't find what you want on the
online auction sites, some let you advertise as "wanted", like
Craigslist; i.e., you post as a buyer trying to find a seller.  I've
never posted "wanted" ads at Craigslist, so I have no clue as to how
successful those are.

I doubt the Canon cartridges are usable in only 1 or 2 models of their
printers.  Have you done the reverse by looking up the cartridges to see
in which models they fit?  After finding the model number of the
cartridges for the BCJ-4100, look up the cartridge models to see in what
printers they fit.  For example, in a Google search on "canon bjc-4100
cartridge", I found:

https://www.4inkjets.com/Canon-BJC-4100-printer-ink-cartridges-toner
(never bought from there, just the 1st hit in the search)

That listed the Canon BCI121Bk black cartridge.  I then clicked on the
link to the cartridge which took me to:

https://www.4inkjets.com/BCI21B-Canon-Ink-Cartridge-Black-Compatible

In their web page for that product, they have a slew (30) of compatible
printers listed.  I never keep a large inventory of spare inkjet
cartridges because they go bad over time, and I replace them at about
1-year intervals because I do so little printing.  I only keep 1 set
(black + color) on hand for immediate swapping when the current set gets
empty.  I don't know how many is "a number"; however, looks like you can
use them in more than just the BJC-4100 printer.

Please turn off Avast's spam, especially since it is NOT a valid
signature block.

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers

Reverse engineered cartridge chips for the BJ5000 series and refills
have been available for at least 5 years now. Unless you really need
backwards compatibility with some antique geriatric computer that is
probably about to fail horribly anyway it might be worth picking a newer
Canon printer model still available second hand but less decrepit.

I chose iX6550 for A3+ and an almost straight paper path and MG5350 as a
stand alone multifunction. Laser printer takes most of the daily grind.
The inkjets are handy for quick high quality colour prints and larger
posters sizes (and printing onto thicker materials like thick card).
Both take exactly the same 525 & 526 series cartridges.

Some refilling sites explain how to use older cartridges in newer
printers (not for the faint hearted). I just use clone cartridges.

https://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/questions/106/Refilling+Canon+PGI-525%7B47%7DCLI-526+and+PGI-225%7B47%7DCLI-226

Duplex monochrome laser is hard to beat as a workhorse. It really
depends critically on what your monthly print volume is as to which
solution is the best one. Inkjets consume ink each time you switch them
on from cold and if you leave them to dry out periodically then a full
cleaning cycle really does use a lot of ink to no good end. By
comparison a laser printer will work first time after months unused.

Martin Brown

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers

* How about a laser printer, abandoned after almost no use (still had
starter cartridge),left to the elements (rained a few nights), set to
dry in house 3 days and work 100% FIRST TIME thereafter?
   3 months later, tried again and STILL WORKS OK.

   Do you not hate reliable stuff?
   How does one support a throw-away "economy"???

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 22:00:18 -0700, Robert Baer wrote:

<snip>

In another part of this thread I referenced a comparison between
office multifunction (copier/printer/scanner) lasers and an Epson
'large tank" inkjet model.
As part of the test, the Epson was orderly shutdown/powered of, left
in storage for 2 months, and worked immediately after that. I don't
think they tested for rain...

For all the inkjets I used (mostly Canon), I never had that problem
that after proper shutdown it wouldn't work.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers
   Yes..the Canon inkjets do seem to have functional longevity..until
something mechanical fails, forcing the toss function to be implemented...

---

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers

Or the ink spillage container gets full. I had to clean it on my
previous printer, a IP4000. I hope I can do the same with my current
Canon when the times comes.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers
$ snipped-for-privacy@fx11.iad:

  Yes.

  Come back when refill ink is cheap, because right now it is not.

  You must be trolling.  The cartridges do not last for years, and
the jet nozzles even get clogged.

  Yer an idiot.  I can get thousands of print jobs from one laser
cartridge.  I am certain that you do not get such a print job count
from an ink cartridge.  The only jet printers doing that are the
large format jobs that cost thousands of dollars.

  un-bright?  Ummm...  You, child.  You failed to think it through.

  Oh and then there is that fade issue too.  Jet printers lose their
color corretness 10 seconds after the print job finishes and from
there forward it is an ever changing color gamut on the paper from
one day to the next.  Zero color fixation quality.

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 21:49:51 +0100 (CET), "Mat Nieuwenhoven"

I do computer and printer repair to support my decadent lifestyle.  I
have some opinions on operating costs and cost of ownership, but have
not done any detailed studies.  I have noticed that an inkjet printer
owner will often recycle the inkjet and purchase a color laser or LED
printer.  I have never seen a color laser printer owner discard the
color laser and purchase an inkjet as its replacement.  Also, the
color laser printers tend to be used as printing presses and often
arrive with 70,000 pages printed on the counter.  Most of the inkjet
printers I drag to the recycler are dead after about 8,000 pages.

Lately, I've been repairing various Brother laser and LED printers. (I
no longer do inkjets).  These printers are admittedly poor quality,
but will last forever if they are kept clean.  I recently fixed a poor
print quality problem on my dentists Brother MFC-9340CDW color LED
printer by simply cleaning the LED's and emptying the toner waste bin.
<https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=brother+mfc-9340cdw

This printer originally cost about $450 and currently shows about
80,000 pages printed:
   $450 / 80,000 = $0.0056/page

A set of 5 replacement TN221 toner cartridges cost $36 on eBay for
2Blk and 1each of the other colors:
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/233005219471
A set of carts lasts about 1,800 pages at:
   $36 / 1,800 = $0.0200/page

A replacement BU220CL belt is a good idea after every 50,000 pages.
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/202627986222
   $80 / 50,000 = $0.0160/page

The printer needed a replacement flimsy "film" in the fuser.  This is
normally a $10 item, but since there were a few scratches in the fuser
drum, I decided to replace the entire assembly:
<https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Brother-MFC-9340CDW-110-120V-LY6753001/dp/B076JLMC9X/>
The printer shows about 80,000 pages, so that's:
   $155 / 80,000 = $0.0019/page

I haven't submitted an invoice for all this yet, but my guess is about
$150 labor every 50,000 pages:
   $150 / 50,000 = $0.0030/page

Good 22 pound paper costs about $6/ream:
   $6 / 500 = $0.0120

Total for purchase price, supplies, and labor:
  $0.0056 + $0.02 + $0.0160 + $0.0019 + $0.0030 + $0.0120
  = $0.0585/page

Notice that the largest operating expense for this printer is the
$0.0200/page for toner.  Were this replaced by factory toner purchased
at retail prices from an authorized dealer, that would increase to
about $300:
<https://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?Ntt=tn-221
  $300 / 1,800 = $0.17/page
or 8.5 times higher than eBay toner.  I think this is why your "tested
numbers" are so high for laser and LED printers.  At those prices, you
could ignore the initial cost of the printer and all the other
operating and maintenance costs, and simply compare the costs of the
replacement toner and ink.  I don't have time to do that right now,
but I think you'll find that laser and LED printer toner is much
cheaper per page than inkjet ink.  I could also do a similar cost of
ownership price estimate for a comparable inkjet printer but that
should be easy enough using my calculations as a template.

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers

I have a Cannon BJ-10ex here (South West Scotland).
Hasn't been used for very many years - not tested.

Free any time you're passing by.

MK

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: Canon Bubble-jet printers

   I very much appreciate the offer, and the price is commensurate to
the estimated functionality.
   However, i do not swim that far (am in the US) and refuse to get near
the unconstitutional Airline Gestapo here.

---