Auto LCD recommendations

Hi Folks: Considering putting a LCD monitor in my vehicle to keep the kids amused on long trips....Can anybody recommend a 5-7" display to hang on the back of the front seats, or drop down from a ceiling console? Good picture clarity is desired (I've seen some really bad ones)...While we are on this subject, how about a reasonably priced IR transmitter+headphones/speakers? Thanks John

Reply to
John Hudak

How much "do-it-yourself" are you willing to be in for? I don't know of prepackaged systems except those that sit on a desktop . . . and of course the image would be upside down if you mounted that to the inside roof of your vehicle. Might keep the kids VERY amused, and might even lead to some interesting capabilities or even intellectual stimulation. Or might lead to crossed-eyes, headaches and nausea. You're interested in creating your OWN DVD system? Then buy a bare LCD screen directly from a manufacturer like Sony or Toshiba and build the package yourself, then do the electronics integration and run a wire from a dash-mount DVD player. But I doubt you understand what you're getting into unless you're an engineer. And even if you are I suspect you're in for giving up a lot of of your free time for a while.

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet>

Reply to
Sporkman

Reply to
Sporkman

Plenty of vehicles have these fitted now as part of their in-car entertainment systems, our friend's father has a Range Rover with LCD's on the back of the seats so the rear passengers can have various things on display.

Might be worth looking into the suppliers of that kit, or I can ask him if I can get a look one day and see if any names are on there.

I think they may be a retro-fit item as well.

Peter

Peter A Forbes