zigbee stacks

hello beautiful comp.arch.embedded world! how are you feeling this fine night?

i've been developing a DIY home automation network for five or six years now, and its evolved in a number of ways. one of the final goals was always going to be to attach some form of RF system and make the whole shebang wireless. well, i'm proud to say, its finally at that point!

it seems like there's actually a plethora of zigbee hardware out there, which i like. what i'm not sure about is how what is required to do devel work, most prominently on the software side. what do zigbee stacks actually do? are they all vendor specific, or does the MAC/PHY specify a strict enough interface guidelines to make this generic? i'm still on a student hobbyist budget, where should i look for low cost solutions?

my other question is, what is required for mesh operation of Zigbee, and how do you configure your mesh system? it is my understanding that zigbee was crafted ground up to be a "mesh" system. this would seem to imply that there is a coperative standard in place. none-the-less, it seems intuitive that there would still be some level of control over the network to let you create dispirate networks, or to prevent a battery powered remote from acting as a central relay.

many thanks! myren

Reply to
myren, lord

Night? It's 8:45 in the morning over here in Europe (you know where that is, don't you?). The world is slightly bigger than the confined space called USA.....

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

And apparently you haven't had your coffee yet.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

And apparently you haven't had your coffee yet ;-)

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alan Balmer

fine

is,

Indeed I hadn't :-)

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

I've seen some programs on the chipcon website but they're specific to I think ATMEL chips. If anybody has a Microchip stack I'd be interested in this too.

Reply to
R.T.

In fact, here is the link:

R.T.

Microchip indeed has a Zigbee stack. The only prerequisite is that you use a PIC18 with greater than or equal to 16K of flash. Watch for it to come out soon. They will be selling something called the "Picdem Z". Look out for that too.

Reply to
Mike V.

What functionality does the Zigbee stack encompass?

Reply to
myren, lord

Can you clarify the word 'soon'? The Microchip 802.15.4 & ZigBee development seems to have been dormant for while, are they actually producing silicon now?

Jeremy Bentham Iosoft Ltd.

Reply to
Jeremy Bentham