zigbee stacks

hello beautiful comp.arch.embedded world!  how are you feeling this fine
night?

i've been developing a DIY home automation network for five or six years
now, and its evolved in a number of ways.  one of the final goals was
always going to be to attach some form of RF system and make the whole
shebang wireless.  well, i'm proud to say, its finally at that point!

it seems like there's actually a plethora of zigbee hardware out there,
which i like.  what i'm not sure about is how what is required to do
devel work, most prominently on the software side.  what do zigbee
stacks actually do?  are they all vendor specific, or does the MAC/PHY
specify a strict enough interface guidelines to make this generic?  i'm
still on a student hobbyist budget, where should i look for low cost
solutions?

my other question is, what is required for mesh operation of Zigbee, and
how do you configure your mesh system?  it is my understanding that
zigbee was crafted ground up to be a "mesh" system.  this would seem to
imply that there is a coperative standard in place.  none-the-less, it
seems intuitive that there would still be some level of control over the
network to let you create dispirate networks, or to prevent a battery
powered remote from acting as a central relay.

many thanks!
myren

Re: zigbee stacks

Night? It's 8:45 in the morning over here in Europe (you know where that is,
don't you?).
The world is slightly bigger than the confined space called USA.....

Meindert

Re: zigbee stacks
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:48:56 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"

And apparently you haven't had your coffee yet.

Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
Re: zigbee stacks
fine
is,

Indeed I hadn't :-)

Meindert

Re: zigbee stacks
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:48:56 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"

And apparently you haven't had your coffee yet ;-)

Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
Re: zigbee stacks
I've seen some programs on the chipcon website but they're specific to I
think ATMEL chips.  If anybody has a Microchip stack I'd be interested
in this too.

Re: zigbee stacks

Microchip indeed has a Zigbee stack. The only prerequisite is that you
use a PIC18 with greater than or equal to 16K of flash. Watch for it
to come out soon. They will be selling something called the "Picdem
Z". Look out for that too.

Re: zigbee stacks

Can you clarify the word 'soon'? The Microchip 802.15.4 & ZigBee
development seems to have been dormant for while, are they actually
producing silicon now?

Jeremy Bentham
Iosoft Ltd.

Re: zigbee stacks
What functionality does the Zigbee stack encompass?

Re: zigbee stacks
In fact, here is the link:
http://www.chipcon.com/index.cfm?kat_ID=2&subkat_Id12%&subsubkat_id=8&action=tec_download

Site Timeline