WTD: ARM uC with low pin count

I would like to know if there is an ARM processor with a external Buss and a low pin count.

Most of the ARM chips I've seen with an external Buss are 144+ pins.

64 pins and and external buss would do the trick.

Thanks

Donald

Reply to
Donald

The two are mutually exclusive. 16 pins data bus plus 24-32 pins address bus, plus power and ground - don't you want any I/O?

Reply to
larwe

I/O is not an issue for me.

Just like the old days, I would like a processor. Not the entire system on a chip.

Thanks

Donald

Reply to
Donald

I doubt you're going to find this under 100 pins. If that's acceptable then try AT91R40008, which is in LQFP100.

I don't think anyone sells what you want, which is essentially a bare ARM core with bus interface on the side. Vendors make their money by value-adding. ARM devices aren't used in general-purpose computing, they're intended for embedded devices.

Reply to
larwe

If I can send in my wish list, I want one with:

16 data bits + 16 address bits (row/col multiplexed) + 8 usb (host + device) + 4 jtag + 8 I/O.

I want it in 84 PLCC. Anyway, if you really want it, we can always pack the die for you. But it's going to cost quite a bit.

Reply to
linnix

Low pin count is sort of a relative thing. I found that the AT94R40807 with 100 pins had enough pins for address, data, chip selects and a reasonable amount of I/O. Certainly 100 > 64 > 48, etc.etc. But a 100-pin qfp is certainly easier to work with than a BGA chip.

For me, the dividing line runs not between pin counts, but between packages that I can solder by hand (QFP) and those that require special equipment and layout techniques (BGA).

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

If commercial IC's are not available, I wonder if the IP is available for a cpld or fpga core then you could choose any i/o configuration..?.. not exactly in the arm spirit.. but could be a solution..

Reply to
TheDoc

He can still get a z180 in a 64 pin package. It has various ports and timers built in, and uses external memory.

CBFalconer

Would that be a zARM then ? ;-)

Reply to
Donald

You can get ARM7 soft core in Actel FPGA.

It doesn't give you the source code, their FPGA tool insert the core code for you. But you don't have to spend money on the IP license.

regards Joe

This e-mail message is intended for the addressee(s) only and may contain information that is the property of, and/or subject to a confidentiality agreement between the intended recipient(s), their organisation and/or the ARM Group of Companies. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail message, you should not read, copy, forward or otherwise distribute or further disclose the information in it; misuse of the contents of this e-mail message may violate various laws in your state, country or jurisdiction. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please contact the originator of this e-mail message via e-mail and delete all copies of this message from your computer or network, thank you.

Reply to
Joseph

Not really a serious suggestion, but 1987-vintage ARM2 came in a PLCC84. 8 MHz too, so no worries about PCB speeds :-) The main limitation is only a 26 bit address bus and no onboard MMU (that was farmed out to the DRAM controller chip). Some of the assembly is very slightly different ('26 bit mode' means status flags were stored in high bits of the PC instead of a separate status register) and some recent instruction additions aren't supported but gcc will generate code for it. The bus is fairly friendly (a bit like ISA).

Datasheet here:

I have a spare one I can send you if you like :-)

Theo

--
Theo Markettos                 theo@markettos.org.uk
Clare Hall, Cambridge          atm26@cam.ac.uk