WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer - Page 2

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:19:29 +0200

    They can all be turned off.

    Sure that'll work.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

This is definitely a project where the right way to do it would be to
have a little PIC managing low-level timing, and talking to the PC over
USB.
Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer
Well my bid of $125 fell short.  The unit sold for $130.  I guess 1986
technology is still in broad demand!
Probably for the best... I think you are all correct that I should be
able to build one of these... add one more project to the list! : )
Tim

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer
Joe Pfeiffer:

Noplis.

--
Saluti

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

Sorry?  (I'm afraid I only read English)
Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer
Joe Pfeiffer:

"No, please".

If you are used to PIC's demented assembly, you should have been able to
decipher it easily.

--
Saluti

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

I suppose it would sound lame to say that occurred to me, but I figured
it must have been a real word....

Their instruction set is certainly weird, but their processors are so
perfectly suited to tasks like this...
Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer
Joe Pfeiffer:

Have you ever taken a look at Atmel's AVRs?
Since I did, no more PICs.

--
Saluti

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

No, I haven't -- I don't quite remember why I wound up going down the
PIC path....
Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer
Joe Pfeiffer:

I did because, at the time, were the best ones in their class.
But with AVRs it's a completely different life, both in assembly and in C.

--
Saluti

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

How is the AVR programmed?  PIC's in-circuit programming (three pins
plus power and ground need to come to some standard male header strip)
is really convenient.
Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

Pretty much the same for AVR.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Did an Italian CRANE
                                  at               OPERATOR just experience
Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer
Joe Pfeiffer:

It uses one more pin, but I guess that uses the same connector (3x2 pin
header), unless Microchip did the not very smart mofe of using a 5x1.

Or three less, since the new Debugwire, that can inspect the internal
registers and memories by using just he reset pin & GND, can also program
the Flash (but not the configuration fuses).

On top of that most AVRs have all the hardware required for bootloader
implementation.

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

They actually use 6x1 (with one of the six unused).

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

But bank switching is Evil.   ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

   Not always.  Some banks are evil, others are just incompetent.

enough left over to pay them.

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

Memory banks, you nincompoop.

Thanks,
Rich

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

On the PIC, the same thing applies to memory banks...

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer

Yes, that's what I was talking about in the first place. Geez, doesn't
anybody pay any attention any more?

Thanks,
Rich

Re: WTB: Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer
C.

I know that's what you meant - maybe I wasn't clear.  Some memory bank
switching is evil, but some is just incompetent.

As for Michael A. Terrell's comments - well, I guess you've come across
him often enough in the sci.electronics groups and know how seriously to
treat him.

It's always the risk when someone cross-posts to c.a.e. and s.e.b (or
s.e.d - don't know much about a.f.c), as they have such a very different
atmosphere and community.

Site Timeline