Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?

--

Non sibi!
Wlad [UR3LOS]

Re: Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?

I wish it was... ;-)

Actually, Windoze Embedded is used a lot for factory automation.

Cheers,

Herman
http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com

Re: Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:22:54 GMT, Bob McConnell

Many people that use PDAs are also serious about it.  The way I see
it, its like any other embedded OS.  It has its strengths, it has its
weaknesses, and should be looked at rather carefully before being
deployed in a nuclear powerplant.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Re: Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?

Since Java actually has the don't use this in a nuclear power plant warning
and I've not seen any version of UNIX or it's mutant, rampant variants
stable enough for such deployment; I'd say that the argument can be
summarily dismissed.

Come to think of it, I don't recall hearing of any embeddable nuclear power
plants lately.

And don't give me that hogwash about reliability of other RTOSs, I'll show
you a TV remote that I can lock up consistently and has to be rebooted via a
power reset.

Re: Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?

A PDA is primarily a portable PC, with very different resources and
requirements than most embedded systems.  If you are happy with Windows on a
PC, then you'll be happy with WinCE on a PDA.  But if you don't want your
car computer to pause for a couple of seconds while "fast" indexing its
documentation, and you don't want your washing machine to get the latest
Sobig virus, then you might be better off looking elsewhere.  As Alex says,
it has its strengths and weaknesses.

warning
power

I don't get this logic - you have a remote control (which almost certainly
does not have any sort of OS) which is supposed to be reliable, but isn't,
and therefore Wince, which is often thought to be unreliable, actually *is*
reliable?  Or do you mean that because your remote control has a software
bug, all other RTOS's are unreliable?

If you are trying to say that a good RTOS does not guarentee a good
application, or something like that, then that's true.  If you are making a
large user-oriented system like a PDA, then the chances are that there will
be more bugs in the app code than there are in the system - and if the
choice of system makes it easier to program (for example, the app
programmers are used to Windows programming), then picking Wince might give
you a system that is more reliable overall than using a perfect RTOS (if one
existed) with buggy apps.  That's a sensible business decision for markets
where a number of bugs can be tolerated, but a joke for systems where bugs
are not acceptable.

Re: Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?

<<snip>>

says,
show
via
*is*
will
give
one

Just to say that it's nice to see something so balanced and reasonable in
this thread!

Regards,

Peter.

Re: Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?
Kelly Hall ( snipped-for-privacy@priest.com) says...

Straight out of recent news:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news ?
tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030821/ap_on_re_us/blackout_investigation_50

"Technical glitches also dogged FirstEnergy Corp. in January, when parts
of its computer network including machines monitoring its nuclear
plant were brought down by the 'slammer' computer worm, plant
spokesman Richard Wilkins said Wednesday."

Thankfully, the plant was out-of-commission at the time!

-- Scott

Re: Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?

Your remote runs an RTOS???

Re: Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?
show
via a

Philips iPronto, a bargain at $1699 ! But there are lots
of others too.

--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman