Windows Embedded - Is It A Joke?

--
Non sibi!
Wlad [UR3LOS]
Reply to
Vladimir Los

I wish it was... ;-)

Actually, Windoze Embedded is used a lot for factory automation.

Cheers,

Herman

Herman Oosthuysen

Many people that use PDAs are also serious about it. The way I see it, its like any other embedded OS. It has its strengths, it has its weaknesses, and should be looked at rather carefully before being deployed in a nuclear powerplant.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Since Java actually has the don't use this in a nuclear power plant warning and I've not seen any version of UNIX or it's mutant, rampant variants stable enough for such deployment; I'd say that the argument can be summarily dismissed.

Come to think of it, I don't recall hearing of any embeddable nuclear power plants lately.

And don't give me that hogwash about reliability of other RTOSs, I'll show you a TV remote that I can lock up consistently and has to be rebooted via a power reset.

Reply to
DM McGowan II

says,

show

via

*is*

will

give

one

Just to say that it's nice to see something so balanced and reasonable in this thread!

Regards,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bushell

A PDA is primarily a portable PC, with very different resources and requirements than most embedded systems. If you are happy with Windows on a PC, then you'll be happy with WinCE on a PDA. But if you don't want your car computer to pause for a couple of seconds while "fast" indexing its documentation, and you don't want your washing machine to get the latest Sobig virus, then you might be better off looking elsewhere. As Alex says, it has its strengths and weaknesses.

warning

power

I don't get this logic - you have a remote control (which almost certainly does not have any sort of OS) which is supposed to be reliable, but isn't, and therefore Wince, which is often thought to be unreliable, actually *is* reliable? Or do you mean that because your remote control has a software bug, all other RTOS's are unreliable?

If you are trying to say that a good RTOS does not guarentee a good application, or something like that, then that's true. If you are making a large user-oriented system like a PDA, then the chances are that there will be more bugs in the app code than there are in the system - and if the choice of system makes it easier to program (for example, the app programmers are used to Windows programming), then picking Wince might give you a system that is more reliable overall than using a perfect RTOS (if one existed) with buggy apps. That's a sensible business decision for markets where a number of bugs can be tolerated, but a joke for systems where bugs are not acceptable.

Reply to
David Brown

Straight out of recent news:

"Technical glitches also dogged FirstEnergy Corp. in January, when parts of its computer network ? including machines monitoring its nuclear plant ? were brought down by the 'slammer' computer worm, plant spokesman Richard Wilkins said Wednesday."

Thankfully, the plant was out-of-commission at the time!

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott Barnes

Your remote runs an RTOS???

Reply to
Geoff McCaughan

show

via a

Philips iPronto, a bargain at $1699 ! But there are lots of others too.

--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman