WinCVS & CVSNT

just starting up a version control system at my company and wondered if
anyone is using WinCVS & CVSNT and what do you think of them?
Are there any useful forums for them?
thanks

Re: WinCVS & CVSNT

I don't know, but I can recomment tortoiseCVS. It's very easy to use.
See http://www.tortoisecvs.org /

cheers,

Al

Re: WinCVS & CVSNT

You should do this _today_. The pair have saved my butt many times.

The most important thing to do is sit down and think before you
implement. Have a good plan for organizing all the code. Come up with a
naming scheme. Come up with a cutoff date; don't "ease into it". A
better approach is to say, "After 1 July, all code must be controlled by
the repository." Then do it. Don't forget to get the repository added to
the backups! It's got ALL YOUR CODE. BACK IT UP.

CVSNT will also store HEX files, so if you want to track those, you can.

Make sure that you're using a server-capable OS. You can use Win2000 Pro
as the server, but not XP. XP will be fine as a client.

You should also get WinMerge while you're at it. It will show you the
differences between the local file and the repository file. This will
save you an incredible amount of time if you're trying to find out what
you've changed and where the bugs have come from.

Yes, with their own server. At least, that's how it used to be before
CVSNT started charging for support. Google for "CVSNT walkthrough" or
"CVSNT wiki". It's been about a year since I started the repository
here, so I've forgotten exactly how to do it.

I wholeheartedly agree. Use TortoiseCVS. It's so amazing, I'm surprised
that they don't charge for it.

--
Magnus McElroy
Electrical Engineer (EIT)

You might want to look at subversion http://subversion.tigris.org/ as an
alternative to CVS.  There is a "tortoiseSVN" as well.

Re: WinCVS & CVSNT

I would also recommend subversion.  If you use visual studio, there's
also a plugin for it called AnkhSVN.

Subversion is nice because it can rename directories (unlike CVS) :)

--buddy

Re: WinCVS & CVSNT

I've been using tkcvs, and it's pretty nice.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tkcvs/

Rufus

Site Timeline