WinCe on ARM7720T

Did anybody try to run WinCE on ARM720T platform? If so, what was the performance (mainly graphics)? I do not want to spend weeks porting WinCE to our platform just to discover it is annoyingly slow. We have 70MHz CPU with A LOT of RAM/FLASH and 640x480 8-bit colour display. Main job would be a GUI to the rest of the system.

Please, do not post comments like - Use Linux, XYZOS, or something else. I am at the moment interested in WinCE implementation just for performance evaluation.

- Dejan

Reply to
Dejan

else.

performance

640X480 8 bit color display looks very fancy, but 70MHz CPU!!!Can yo explain, what kind of application or customer you are targeting for. 70MHz speed looks very less for a VGA panel. What is the use of jus having the wince GUI on the display? Are you planning not to run any other application?
Reply to
badal_akr

Years ago I was running Windows and OS/2 with a display of 800x600 x 16 bit on a 16MHz 386sx and later on a 33MHz 486.

An ARM at 70MHz is plenty powerful enough for lots of applications on

640x480 unless you want to play the latest video games.

Mind you, I can't speak for Win CE... is it a terrible CPU hog?

Anahata

Reply to
Anahata

You might be having a simple black and white kind of display. But as i know wince provides a beatifull GUI. And as i know ince displa drivers are good CPU hogging.Creating lot of widgets and buttons and mut window takes enough amount of CPU.

Reply to
badal_akr

What is your goal, to build one machine or to start a volume production? If you want to build 1 machine I guess it is for the educational purpose as it does not make any commercial sense. If you are aiming for some sort of volume production, go with an ARM9. Have a look at the SAM9261 from Atmel or a couple of the Sharp Bluestreak, now from NXP. They feature embedded LCD-Controllers and sufficient CPU power. There are also WinCE ports available e.g. from Adeneo for the Atmel device. My only conclusion is, you are doing it to educate yourself.

LC

Reply to
lpc.consultant