Why are headhunters overwhelmingly idiots?

I posted my resume on Monster.com back in December when I was laid off. I got flooded by calls from various headhunters, but one occured last week that really put a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to headhunters. It went something like this:

Me : Hello? Him: Can I speak to Mr. Bradley? Me : Yes, that's me. Him: Hi, I'm xxxxx from yyyy and I saw your resume on monster.com. We have an embedded job that match your skill set. Does this sound interesting? Me : Sure. What is the product and what type of work is it? Him: It's an embedded Java job. Me : Oh, I don't know/do Java. Him: But it's an embedded job. Me : But you also said it's Java work. Him: Yes, but if you know embedded, you can do Java. Me : Um... no, Java is a lanaguage, embedded is completely different. Him: No, if you know embedded you know Java. Me : Trust me on this one - Java is a language they're using in an embedded system. I have plenty of embedded systems experience, just not doing anything with Java. Him: Then why did you say you did embedded work on your resume? Me : Because I've done 8051, ARM, AVR, PowerPC, and Intel based processor embedded designs in my history, including hardware and firmware. Him: So.... then you know Java. Me : No, I don't know Java. Java is a language. Java CAN be used in an embedded system, but more often it's straight C or assembly language instead. Him: You can't know embedded without knowing Java. Me : Are you actually serious? Him: Yes - Java is a prerequisite for embedded in this job. Me : Maybe for that job, but not generally - that's why I didn't list it on my resume! Him: But on your resume you shouldn't say you know embedded if you don't know Java. Me : (getting really irritated at this point) It's clear from my talking with you that you have NO CLUE what you're talking about, and I wouldn't consider working for you or any client stupid enough to hire you. Goodbye!

I've gotten other really bizzare calls, too - one who couldn't get it through her head that I didn't want to move 120 miles away no matter how many times I told her, nor matter how much she increaesd the pay.

This is my first experience with headhunters. Are they all this retarded?

-->Neil

Reply to
Neil Bradley

Quite a lot of headhunters/recruitment 'consultants' (in UK) are just glorified insurance/snake oil sales people with the so called ability to matchthings up. Often some companies have targets to meet so do simple word searches and never read the resume/CV.

I have in the past had problems with "VME bus" and "VME Operating System", those who know the later will know that it is rarely considered an embedded system let alone a small system!

Personally I think resumes/CVs should be distributed as image files, with sufficient added noise to the image to make OCR very difficult. To force reading and stop word searches and changing of the documents to send to potential clients/employers.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Not all. I haven't met that many who insisted on flaunting their ignorance. The smart ones will learn from you. But then, when I'm usually out of work, so are a ton of other programmers and I seldom get such calls. I wonder if there's a website to showcase such experiences. You see a lot of "Do's and Don'ts of Interviews", maybe there should be a "Dos and Don'ts for headhunters".

Reply to
GaryKato

I have a technique that handles this.

(Note; this is only for idiot recruiters. *Ignorant* recruiters get a different treatment; walking them through what each part of the job desciption means, helping them to do their job better.)

GM: "Guy Macon speaking."

HH: "Hi! I am a recruiter and I have a job that you might be interested in."

GM: "Great! Have you looked at my online resume at

"

HH: "I don't have internet access here."

GM: "I'm sorry, but I only deal with recruiters who are able to read my online resume. Feel free to call back when you have done so. [CLICK].

GM: "Guy Macon speaking."

HH: "Hello. I represent XYZ recruiting. Do you have a moment to speak?"

GM: "Glad to. Have you looked at my online resume at

"

HH: "Yes, I have it in front of me. I have a position that has the following requirements. [long list of buzzwords ending with a requirement for a degree in mechanical engineering]."

GM: "Did you read the section of my online resume titled "education?"

HH: "Yes, I read that."

GM: "Why, then are you wasting my time with a position that requires a degree in mechanical engineering? Feel free to call back when you have a position that matches my qualifications. [CLICK].

I have found that roughly 90% or recruiters *have* read my online resume and *have* done their best to match me up with the job. Those recruiters get treated with the respect they deserve. The ones who screw up on matching person to job will no doubt screw up in many othetr ways, so I don't want to deal with them.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Not all, but a lot of them are. There's a very high turnover rate, and most of them only last a few months. They typically have no training or experience in either HR or the field for which they're recruiting.

Most are just sales people making cold calls with a script in hand.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm sitting on my
                                  at               SPEED QUEEN... To me,

really

like

Java.

Too many are, in my experience. My pet peeve was being asked to "tweek" my resume for each and every prospective employer. After doing that twice I refused all further such requests. I was an Assurance engineer who specialized in the IBM S/370 "channel"; any prospective employer who doesn't understand that short and to-the-point job descripton doesn't need my skills.

Reply to
Michael

... snip ...

I assume you are restricting your job search to firms that want an "Assurance engineer specializing in the IBM S/370 channel" and that you have no interest in any other type of position. If this is correct your attitude makes sense. Good luck, you will need it.

CBFalconer

No, most of them are *much* worse.

IAn

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

Which begs the question "are there headhunters for headhunters?"

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Not that I know of. The ones I knew started out as HR recruiters or they just answered an ad in the paper and went to work for a sweatshop type operation.

"begs the question" refers to making an argument containing the logical fallacy in which the argument assumes as a premise the result being proved. It's pretty much the same as a circular argument.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Make me look like
                                  at               LINDA RONSTADT again!!

[%X]

Of the order of 90% are probably retarded to this sort of degree. Of the remaining 10% half will be quite decent worthwhile companies that will be quite clued up on the positions they are offering. The trick is finding those few.

I don't know any US ones but I do know some good UK ones.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/********************************************************************
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

No. Headhunters are for hard-to-fill positions. Nobody is going to pay that extra expense for a position where a newspaper ad gets them more applicants than they can handle.

Reply to
Guy Macon

I was contacted by a recruiter for a job that sounded interesting but the job description/location/etc. was somewhat vague and I wanted some questions answered. When I got the guy on the phone after not being able to get any answers via email, he said that he makes $200/hour and doesn't have time to answer questions!

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

If they know anything about programming they wouldn't be headhunting programmers but they'd get their own programming job!

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

The short and irresponsible answer: yes.

In my experience HH firms are generally manned by failed salesemen and managers. One bad thing is that they are messing up the job market by their sheer ignorance, but worse is the effect that they create a barrier between employer and employees. A barrier that wasn't there afew years ago when real people actually spoke directly togehter about the real issues.

HH ads that I see all to often goes almost like this: "Engineer wanted for company." The people that puts up ads like that probably know little more than what is literally stated. IMO that's an insult to both the anonymous company and the potential employee.

Another strange thing is that many firms seemingly care more for exposing you to (bogus) "personality tests", than examining your professional ability. How low can you go?

There may be competent HH firms out there, that does something more than leeching. I hope to make such an observation one day, but maybe I'll be better off looking for Dodos :-D

DJ

Reply to
Dr Justice

Yeah, that's how it always starts out. They may SAY they just want some company, but they want a lot more!

But before you know it, you're holding hands, then engaged, then married with 2 kids...

Give 'em inch, they'll take a mile.

--
...The Bit Eimer     NAR 84054      L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

Here's one for you...

A while back I was contracting and was contacted by a head hunter about a job "involving linux running on a proprietory platform". She couldn't tell me much more about it but set me up with an "interview" with the client the following day.

I turn up, and they tell me that they'd like to be able to run linux on their hardware (I can't recall which processor it was, but Linux already ran on that processor). I told them that I've never actually bootstrapped Linux on another platform but couldn't see why it wouldn't be possible, and that I can look into it. With that they nodded and walked away.

So here I am, sitting at the desk, thinking they'll return in a few minutes. I think nothing of it and start to look into things, read doco, source etc. Before I know it, it's lunchtime and they're inviting me out to lunch. We return to the office, they ask how I'm going, and I say that I'm confident it's do-able (they had a 4 week schedule). Again they leave me to it. By about 3pm I'm starting to think they're milking some free advice so I get up and try to find someone (the office is almost empty). After a quick chat I realise that they're under the impression that this is no interview at all - and that I've actually *started* working for them!!!

I go downstairs, ring the HH to find out WTF is going on and she swears it was supposed to be an interview! I leave the matter with her to sort out and head home.

[At the risk of being labelled a sexist pig, I actually met this HH a few years beforehand and her only saving grace was the fact that she was, quite simply, stunning! ;)]

As luck would have it, that same afternoon I get a call about another (longer term) contract with former colleagues and I could tell the HH "thanks, but no thanks". They obviously had a lot of trouble trying to find someone to do the job because she begged me to reconsider and offered me more money just to stay for a few days until she found someone else!

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McDougall

[...]

If I had a file, this would go into it. You can't make this stuff up!

[...]
Reply to
Bryan Hackney

[snip]
[snip]

LOL - Undoubdedtly! :D

Heres an HH anecdote:

One time I had announced myself available and registered my CV. The CV is the kind that a computer/embedded engineer has. As it happens it has the word "development" in it. This led to an HH contacting me, wanting me to start working in a property broker firm doing "property development". He was very insistent that I would be a good man for the job with all my development experience...

DJ

Reply to
Dr Justice

retarded?

I must've been really lucky then. All my recent pimps have perfectly well understood what "embedded" means, and how my CV and potential jobs will relate to each other.

Richard [in PE12]

Reply to
Jet Morgan