Why?

The anthrax letters had even less connection with Iraq than 9/11 (the only *real* connection between 9/11 and Iraq being that the Al Quida leadership hated the Iraqi leadership). The minimal results from the limited investigations made into the letters showed that the anthrax came from within the USA, and the letters were sent from within the USA. At that point, the investigation dried up - decide for yourself if you think it was too difficult to get more results, or if certain authorities realised further investigations would prove too embarrassing.

The invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq did not really have much to do with paranoia - at least, not on the part of the US leadership. There are many ideas about the reason for the invasion of Iraq (to finish what Dad started, to please Israel, to bug Iran, etc.), although control of oil was probably the major factor. But invading Afghanistan was *not* about paranoia - it had nothing to do with making a serious effort to avoid terrorist attacks in the future. It was little more than revenge

- an attitude unpleasantly common in the USA (or at least an attitude glorified and publicised on the media and by the US leadership - I like to believe that most Americans are good, sensible people, drowned out by the shouting of the idiot minority). The US had been hurt, and their response was to find someone to hit - trying to find out what had happened, or *why* it had happened, were ignored in their thirst for revenge.

I guess this thread should be cross-posted to s.e.d. ...

Reply to
David Brown

Seems we all have points of agreement today... :-). I might extend "control of" to "securing control of for the case of extreme circumstances", which makes the phrase less likely to be true (somewhat narrower), but it does make sense to me. If anything, the decision cannot have been stupid as the media shout about it, although the public likes to buy into that a lot (and is being fed it all of it it can take...).

Dimiter

)
Reply to
Didi

Examine the UK about a century ago. Kipling had things to say about it - see the Requime.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer