which is the hottest field in Embedded systems ,currently in market.

I Want to know , which is the hottest field in Embedded systems ,currently in market.( In terms of salary). The same thing i want to know for Linux based Embedded system,field.

Reply to
cb

In terms of maximal money for the least effort, "patent shark" is a good choice. You could also make a living claiming you own the rights to some code or technology, and con large companies into paying you for "licenses". The trick is to set the price low enough that it is cheaper for them to pay you rather than fight you in the courts, even if they know the case is clear-cut.

Of course, you could try looking at fields that are of interest to you, or that you have some aptitude for.

Reply to
David Brown

blue tooth, CDMA, wifi, zigbee. Change happens fast though.

Reply to
Moon Shine

You have your whole life to make money and there's still a lot that you need to learn. Find a job you can enjoy that has lots of old farts around that can teach you.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks Buddy.You are right.

Reply to
cb

My idea was ,get money as early as possible, invest it ,and stop worrying about money, quit all the dirty jobs that the so called pay masters give me, and persue my interest , in startup companies,even if the salary is low. The rest of my life will be cool i suppose.

Reply to
cb

It's a nice idea (not very original, though). But it wouldn't work in practice. First off, if there were a simple way to make enough money quickly to last the rest of your life, other people would be doing it too. And secondly, money is addictive - if you *do* manage to find a way to make your pile of money, you're going to carry on doing it, or you're going to do something else money-oriented (buying businesses, playing the stock market, or whatever) that's only possible if you first have a sizeable sum. There are very few people who manage to make a lot of money, and then move over to something non-profitable but interesting (Mark Shuttleworth of Ubuntu fame is one example).

You are better off aiming for a middle ground - aim for a day job that is reasonably interesting and pays well enough that you don't have to worry about not having enough money, but doesn't pay *so* well that you worry about what to do with your money!

Reply to
David Brown

you mean some places have training ... wish i had that... seems like i'm given jobs that are already tight o schedule and training is on the back burner....

freakin A send me to a conference please.. my old company did.

what i do: I say incorporating embedded software [c++ ] with high level softwar [c#/Java] is important and pays well. udp/tcp basically byte level al day long.

what i want to move to: if you have proprietary hardware device driver development on linux an windows is going pay good money and will never go away.

Reply to
leblancmeneses

The most important thing is getting up in the morning and looking forward to your day. Anything more is a bonus.

You will do your best work and get the most satisfaction.

w..

Reply to
Walter Banks

While I'm sorry for you, I'm kind of pleased that you've made me feel considerably better about my day job.

Of course every project I get is tight on schedule and rarely compliant with current procedure. That's not counting the projects that are glory-less emergency sustaining engineering projects. Really, the "work" I do is no reason to get up in the morning.

But they do have unlimited tuition reimbursement for tertiary education (I'm sitting in a university lecture right now in fact, waiting for something to finish), and quite a lot of in-house training, including in-house training for various industry certifications that are worth real money outside. Plus the semiconductor vendors come over and give out lots of free hardware and in-house seminars. And once in a while we are allowed to go to conferences.

Hmm. Now I am wondering, in fact, if this daily routine is really presented to us as employment or primarily as a paid internship program to train for a real job in another division of the company :) Maybe I'm just a rat in some kind of social experiment.

Reply to
larwe

You might have confused training with learning...

I've had very little of what I'd call training, sitting in a class listening to an instructor.

OTOH, I've learned enormous amounts of information and skills by working with talented ME's, machinists, programmers and salespeople. Not to mention the many times I've been given dev kits, CAD tools, programming languages and new test tools and been given company time to learn them.

Too bad. You might have to settle for less pay and work in a less deadline-oriented job to get the benefits that I've had.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Believe it or not, money can rule your life whether you have to much or too little of it. Learning and enjoying your work ought to be a goal to happiness.

Worked for me.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If you want to make lots of money, embedded is the wrong field for you.

You should switch to being a doctor, lawyer, pharmacist, dentist or one of those types of professions. Not only is the job more stable career wise, you make a hell of a lot more than most embedded folks. Electrical engineering (power stations stuff) also makes good money if you can get into the right company.

Electronics and embedded guys are poorly paid considering the amount of effort and learning involved.

I would say to a person, don't get involved in this field unless you have a lifelong interest in the subject. There is no pot of gold so to speak salary wise but there is job satisfaction if the stuff you works on makes it to the real world.

Reply to
vorange