Which development board and LCD?

Hi!

I am building a simple monitoring system, that would read data from few sensors and display them on a colour 320x240 LCD. As far as the microcontroller goes, I'll probably go with ARM9 or ARM7. Do you have any suggestions about the development board and LCD. I've been looking at Densitron, but they don't offer LCDs with built-in controllers. I've also looked at NXP LH7952x but I can't seem to find any dev boards based on it. One more thing, if I can order the components from Europe that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
abcd12

You should be able to find boards based on Atmel SAM7 or SAM9 cores that meet your needs. The Atmel board can be pricey, so you might look for boards using their chips rather then their dev boards.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

Hi!

Look at:

LPC2148 (or bigger) Education Board:

Udvidelsesportene kan f.eks. anvendes til:

Citat: "...240 x 128 pixel monochrome graphical LCD..."

Citat: "... ? 128x128 color LCD (interface via SPI bus) with backlight control ? 3-axis accelerometer (MMA7260 from Freescale) ? 10M Ethernet interface (ENC28J60 from Microchip, interface via SPI bus) ? Joystick switch ? 2 push buttons ? 16 LEDs controlled via I2C (PCA9532) ? uSD/transflash connector (interface via SPI bus) ? Full-signal RS232 modem ? Interface to GPS module (A1035-C from Tyco Electonics). Note that GPS module is not included. ..."

-

This ARM platform might be interesting - also has GSM, GPRS later 3G:

It is also possible to buy a auxiliary debug-board.

/Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Møller-Holst

Hi!

Here is a "bigger" boards:

e.g.:

LPC2478 OEM Board and QVGA OEM Base Board with touch panel:

/Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Møller-Holst

How about an intelligent LCD screen with an inbuilt microcontroller you can use for your I/O applications? Uses 4DGL programming language.

4DGL allows the user to take complete control of all available resources on that hardware platform such as the Serial Port, Graphics LCD or AMOLED Display, µSD memory card, I/O pins, etc. This eliminates the need for an external host controller/processor to drive the µLCD-3202X-P1T module via serial commands. It provides the user complete control over the hardware module allowing them to quickly develop powerful applications.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

USB to 4 Relays. Many other modules available.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

any

also

it.

the best place for ARM kits and LCD

Reply to
peter_H

More about Openmoko Neo Freerunner:

Quote: "... * Very high resolution touch screen (1.7" x 2.27" - 43mm x 58mm)

480x640 pixels * 128MB SDRAM memory * 256 MB integrated flash memory (expandable with microSD or microSDHC card) * uSD slot supporting up to 8GB SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) cards (Supported microSD cards; installation) * Internal GPS module * Bluetooth * 802.11 b/g WiFi * 400Mhz ARM processor * 2 3D accelerometers that orient the phone's screen -- for example, switching to landscape mode automatically * 2 LEDs illuminating the two buttons on the rim of the case (one bicolor [blue|orange] behind the power button, 1 unicolor [red] behind the aux button) * Tri-band GSM and GPRS * USB Host function with 500mA power, allowing you to power USB devices for short periods (will drain the FreeRunner battery faster) ..."

GTA02 Hardware Component Selection:

CAD program (stp-format):

/Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Møller-Holst

Schematics:

/Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Møller-Holst

I have one more question. If I decide to go with this LCD(it has an integrated controller-HX8615), do you think that an Arduino board would be suitable? How much work does it take to connect the LCD to such a board? I've also been considering µVGA-PICASO-MD1 controller. Do you think it would be better suited for the job? If I understand correctly, in the latter case I can get an LCD without IC.

Thanks, Luke

Reply to
abcd12

Hi!

Just found a 2D/3D accelerated OpenGL ARM board. Might be a "little" overkill as a sensor display - but the price is not! You could even make some fancy real-time powerpoint-like curves... You could play or hear music, while waiting for more sensor data... It has built-in UPS ():

Quote: "...Externally accessible UART for hardware hacking and debugging...Brick prevention with integrated bootloader for safe code experimentation...Dimensions: 140x83x27mm..."

Quote: "... * ARM® Cortex?-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux * 430-MHz TMS320C64x+? DSP Core * PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware * 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD * Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host * Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output * Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls * 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad * Around 10+ Hours battery life ..."

/Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Møller-Holst