pins seems to be enough.
Otherwise you can look at the ATmega48 for 28 pins
or the ATmega8515 for a 40 pin package.

You can download a free assembler/simulator/debugger at www.avrfreaks.net
which is the best AVR website.
The STK500 development board is all you need, but with the ATtiny2313 and
ATmega48
you can connect the soon to be available JTAG ICE-Mk II using the single pin
"Debugwire(tm)".

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

Does the STK 500 development board support the ATtiny2313 . Its not
listed in the brochure.
It does seem like a good choice.
KP

Re: which 8-bit micro

www.avrfreaks.net
and
pin

It is pin compatible with the AT90S2313.
The STK500 documentation has probably not been updated, since it is so new.
There is no dedicacted connector for the DebugWire on the STK500
but since it is single wire, I think there will be a solution.
Debugwire will need a JTAG emulator Mk II (soon to be available)

Until this is released (I was told January) it should be possible to use the
normal
ISP connector to program the part.

--
Best Regards