Where did I read that productivity study? (2nd attempt)

Hello all,

I first posted this on comp.programming and comp.software-eng but that thread instantly decayed into "LOC bad!" and then into a discussion about wearing sandals, with or without socks. So I thought I'd try again in c.a.e. Anyway, here's my original question:

--------------------

A few weeks ago I ran across a link to a study about how much software (SLOC) could be produced by a team in a year. If I remember the figures right, team productivity declined after about 70,000 or 75,000 SLOC per year, with teams of 3 to 10 programmers, although larger teams

(up to 40 members IIRC) could produce up to 180,000 SLOC per year at a cost multiplier of between 1.5 (or 1.25) and 3.9. Again, all of these are barely remembered figures. Problem is, I can't remember how or where I found the study. Might have been linked in a newsgroup article, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, does this study ring a bell? I'd like to find it again, and have enough sense to bookmark it if it is as interesting as I vaguely recall that it was. Many thanks!

Reply to
Mike Silva

With socks! :-)

An excellent place to start is with Dave Wheeler's sloccount. Follow the references on his site.

Say sloccount to Google and you will be lucky.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Carter

You may well be talking about this link:

The 180 KSLOC/annum is in there. This whole page tends to the optimistic, though, talking about projects that have been completed within 12 months, but does not compare the number of these projects to the number that have failed to complete within 12 (or 24 or 120) months. I'd certainly not wager any important parts of my anatomy on the outcome of a project that put too much emphasis on these figures in its estimation.

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz

Thanks for the reply. Turns out the article I had in mind was the one at

but I found Dave Wheeler's stuff interesting also.

Reply to
Mike Silva

A thousand thanks! That's the one. Now I'll read it again and see if my quest was worth it. I think it was mostly a case of "I just read this and now I can't find it!". Anyway, thanks for your help.

Reply to
Mike Silva