Where am I? (How to find where you are from your mobile phone without GPS?)

Is there a way of finding your location (city, town and/or world coordinate)
within your Symbian application written for your mobile phone?

Is there any service on mobile networks that will return the coordinate of
the nearest base station?

Samuel

Re: Where am I? (How to find where you are from your mobile phone without GPS?)

Sending a blank SMS to 1715678 used to give you the Lat/Long co-ords of
the nearest mobile tower, although I've heard the service is
experimental and keeps changing. Only worked for Telstra though.
Not sure of its status these days, or a similar service for other
networks.

Dave :)

Re: Where am I? (How to find where you are from your mobile phone without GPS?)

Not generally.  The GSM network obviously knows your location by the
cell you're booked into.  If they put their mind to it, they can
pinpoint it down to a couple of meters in optimal conditions, using
signal strengths at neighboring towers and some triangulation.  Look
up "LAC" or "CellID" for details.

The tricky question is whether or not they'll allow you, the
subscriber, access to that information.  Several network providers
want to exploit this themselves, by offering various "location-based
services" for extra fees, e.g. via WAP, so they're not particularly
likely to let any odd application running on the phone access this
data.

Then there's the question of whether the GSM client device in question
will let software access these data at all, and whether a Symbian
application written by some random persion is allowed to access it.

Re: Where am I? (How to find where you are from your mobile phone without GPS?)

Here in Croatia, CellID feature is free if you use VIP provider. The name of
street where antenna is is displayed on the phone. Also, I heard that one of
British operators will (or maybe already is) use CellID in combination with
GSM phones with AGPS (assisted GPS). GPS "cold start" is much faster with
approximate location. Less annoying, less current consumption, etc. etc....

Precise triangulation in "urban canyon" is nearly meaningless.

Re: Where am I? (How to find where you are from your mobile phone without GPS?)

Eh ? what ? What country is the original poster in ?

Here in the UK, there are several services for tracking handsets
(to the nearest basestation), but the trackee has to consent to
having their location transmitted (by SMS).

There was a company called "RouteCall" which would provide
location info on any UK mobile handset on demand and without
the trackee knowing. This was actually a test program, but it
was left as an active web page until various people noticed it.

Richard [in PE12]

Re: Where am I? (How to find where you are from your mobile phone without GPS?)
UK police got a successful murder prosecution after using a warrant to get
hold of historic cell system data and track a person's movement through the
cell phone network. (Sorry, I haven't got the citation on hand - search BBC
and you'd find it).

Ken

Re: Where am I? (How to find where you are from your mobile phone without GPS?)
See also http://www.virtualmedonline.com/medsms/locatewithsms.htm