What software is the simplest to use on Motorola HC08 development?

I am trying to get started in mpu development. I have a Nitron HC08
development board and Metrowerks evaulation software but I am having a lot
of trouble getting things to work. Every step is an effort. I think back to
my days at school typing in the op codes with a keypad. It was error prone
and repetitive but way more efficient then what I have been able to
accomplish so far. Lots of changes from 14 years ago.

The code I have written and flashed in, (verified it's there) never runs.
The PC starts at $FFFF, goes to $1, then resets due to not being able to go
into background mode,it then goes to $FFEA and stays up in that region. I
never setup the COP, reset vector should be taken care of by the Metrowerks
software (I am modifying the standard skeleton code that the software sets
up). I haven't been able to figure out that problem and am now thinking
there has to be an easier way to get started.

Cosmic seems to be used a lot. I am not sure how difficult that is to setup
for the HC08 using the mono8 debugger.

Right now I am just doing hobby work and do not want to spend a lot of money
on a software package. I was hoping an evaluation copy would be enough. Any
suggestions?

Re: What software is the simplest to use on Motorola HC08 development?
a lot
back to
prone
runs.
to go
region. I
Metrowerks
sets
thinking
setup
of money
enough. Any

I had the same experience: the Metrowerks software seemed to have too
steep a learning curve. Eventually I downloaded an excellent, much
smaller version of the IDE/assembler/debugger from P&E Micro
(ISC08something) that was much easier to progress with: the app's
handholding and second-guessing were almost non-existent. Another
recommendation: take the time to get the User-Mode Monitor Access  code
into your device. Add this to the excellent debugger and programming
the '08 really became as understandable and _much_ faster than back in
the day.
The program counter should start at FFFE, not FFFF
Keep at it
Wade Hassler

Re: What software is the simplest to use on Motorola HC08 development?

If you read German (or can get it translated) there is a paper on
implementing nanoForth. Forth is a reasonably easy environment to deal with
new hardware and with this part of the work is done for you. It will,
however, allow you to explore further.

        http://www.embeddedforth.de/08forth.pdf

You might also be able to get ChipForth for the processor from Computer
Solutions Ltd. of Forth Inc at a reasonable price these days.
Alternatively, a search on "Forth for 68hc08) yields a number of
interesting links (not all will be Forth related).

Re: What software is the simplest to use on Motorola HC08 development?

Codewarrior is an excellent toolset that produces good-quality code,
but it is difficult to set up - when we started with the HCS08 we did
try serial download, but rapidly moved on to the Multilink ICD - I'm
not sure we ever got the serial debugger working properly.

 We're very pleased with the HCS08-multilink combination (once we
understood the strange licensing issues with the P&E debugger), but it
isn't necessarily a hobbyist setup. We breifly evaluated the Cosmic
offering, and it looked similar - you may have the same problems with
serial download.

An ICD system may cost $200, but 14 years ago the only high-level
debug option was to buy or rent a $10,000 processor emulator, so
things have improved a bit...

Jeremy Bentham
Iosoft Ltd.

Site Timeline