What's your Favorite PIC Tool Chain?

need,

do

That is true. There are times when you will need to use the #BYTE directive for some registers or set up some bit definitions, but do it once and use it as a template or header in the future. I have seen compilers that don't even try to give you any hardware definition headers at all or give you an "example" header that you should use as a template. I am sure it is a full time job just keeping up with all of the header files they supply.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

The suckyness of the PIC is why you want to use C Hi-tech works fine. Though I have never used it in command line. They have a demo version and a free limited lite version. Note that the PIC18 is a little better than the PIC16. The small stack is a pain. The Hi-tech is not 100% ANSI, the PIC can not handle it. But I have copied C from other CPUs to it and it compiles. The PIC is much maligned, but it gets little jobs done well.

Reply to
Neil

FlashForth. It's interactive on the target. Works for PIC18Fxxxx

Cheers !

Reply to
Mikael Nordman

We heavily use CCS. They release patch very often. Just few months ago I seen CCSC having trouble with character array, generating MyArray+i instead of MyArray[i]. Another day a friend was showing me CCSC having trouble with switch statement. This got fixed in a release few weeks ago. They improved on optimisation too, code is way smaller than used to.

Some recommend Hi-Tech C, but we had only trouble with it back in 2003. Problems with 32-bit arithmetic, expressions inside function parameters did not evaluate, compiler ignored the settings for reserved space etc. Ended up locating all my vars, using plenty temporary variables to simply expressions and some inline assembly. They may have fixed the bugs, but I never looked back.

I did not work with C18, but seen some code and worked with C30. It may be ANSI but is Microchip ANSI. Keep one finger on underscore key and you should be good.

-

PICs *do not* suck, their toolchains do.

Reply to
Roman

C30 is essentially GCC, C18 is something bought-in and hacked at Microchip, although I'm not sure how much bought-in code remains. When I was last at Phoenix in 2000 the compiler team consisted of two people, both of whom were pretty sharp and responsive!

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "he just stuck to buying beer and pointing at other stuff"
Reply to

So it can't be long before we see a Linux port then.

Reply to
toby