What's inside a USB flash drive?

Has anyone opened up a commodity USB flash drive?

Obviously there is a customized USB-capable microcontroller in there.
What I'm wondering is if there is a seperate flash memory chip with a
standard interface that could be scavenged for use in projects (since
implementing the _host_ side of USB in a micro is sadly unrealistic at
present).

Yes, it's easy to talk to compact flash and similar cards and the
prices aren't that different.  But curiousity is a factor.

Re: What's inside a USB flash drive?
On 14 Jun 2005 20:01:57 -0700, the renowned cs snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

I have not opened one up (don't even own one at the moment) but here's
a chip I ran across earlier today:

http://www.sigmatel.com/products/stbd2010pb.htm

I suspect this is typical- an ASIC with just about everything but
memory, plus standard flash memory plus a few other parts.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: What's inside a USB flash drive?
I think some of them use Atmel DataFlash like at64DBxxxx type chips.

Ken
www.claymore-electronic.co.uk

Re: What's inside a USB flash drive?

Yes, NAND flash is used there.

   Vadim

Re: What's inside a USB flash drive?

The USB Flash devices I have opened had at least 2 chips. One the
controller which connect directly to the USB connector, and the others
standard TSSOP flash devices. I suspect that the controller chip might
have some sort of configuration which adapts it for the specific flash
devices used.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: What's inside a USB flash drive?