What Microcontroller can be used with inductive loop sensors

Hi,

I am currently working on a university project that concerns th functionality of an inductive loop sensor. While I understand its basi functionality I am unsure how to use it with microcontroller.

We will be using the sensor to detect vehicles that are parked in parking spot. Once detected, we want the sensor to communicate with som sort of microcontroller so a timer can be set. How to actually connect th sensor and microcontroller is where we are facing difficulties at th moment. If you could provide information on how this could be done tha would be highly appreciated.

Also, what microcontroller has the following specifications:

- Has one or more timers

- is able to have an RF transciever connected to it

- can be connected to an inductive loop sensor

Thanks

Reply to
simon86

Simon86,

If I understand your question, the only part of the proposed project you presently have any knowledge of is the basic functionality of the loop sensor. If this is true, you should seriously consider becoming involved in a different project unless you have a several months from concept to completion. However, I may have misread your post.

As for your question about which microcontroller has the specs you listed, which microcontrollers have you studied in your courses? It would be much easier (faster) to start with one you know. It is very likely that one from that (or those) manufacturer(s) would meet your needs. Check the manufacturer's web site of the ones you are familiar with for a search engine that will allow you to select based on desired capabilities. Your project is unlikely to succeed if you have no knowledge of microcontrollers unless you have time to learn everything you need to know about a particular (or any) MCU.

You would need to provide more specifics in order to get much help: What is it you don't understand about connecting the loop sensor to the MCU? Is it the hardware required to convert the loop sensor output to something the MCU can use? Is it the software to make that signal start a timer? What type/lenght of timer do you need and what part of implementing this in an MCU do you not understand? What part does the RF transceiver play and what part of its implementation do you not understand?

Basically, what have you done so far and exactly what is it you are having problems with? There are several solutions to most problems and it wouldn't be much use for someone to provide you a suggestion without knowing your capabilities and what you have already tried (successfully or unsuccessfully).

If all you are looking for is a complete solution with little effort, you may have come to the wrong place. If you have already done some of the groundwork and have specific questions about a particular issue, there are many folks in this group who will be willing to help.

Good luck, Richard

Reply to
Richard Seriani

Interesting, we did an experiment of exactly what you are considering, only at a smaller scale. We made a loop of resistors, which has capacitances and inductances as well. Let call it impedance detection. With a detection loop of radius R, we found about 10% change in impedence with 1R and 80% in 0R. Bascially, you are limited to roughly 1R above the planer circle.

show relative frequency of no object

show object at 1R

show object at 0R

Reply to
linnix

Most Microcontrollers have timers Usually more than one. There are many types RF transceivers many are serial and can connect to any Microcontroller. Others are part of the chip. To work with a microcontroller your loop sensor must out put a signal. A voltage that can be measured or a pulse that can be timed. Assuming it does not just output a Car / No Car signal.

Reply to
Neil

There are standard detectors that put out a logic signal, usually grounding an output line when a vehicle is detected. They are used as input for traffic light controllers. My understanding of them, though, is that the standard design is dynamic: they average the inductance over time to set a threshold. Typically they will "tune out" cars that set over them for many minutes. That might make the standard units unworkable if you want to detect when a vehicle leaves its spot.

--
Thad
Reply to

Our design output a PWM signal based on impedance (mix of capacitance and inductance). It works well as long as the Z distance is small compared to the X,Y or radius. For example, I have seen detection rings of 1.5 times the size of cars. A few of them are at the intersection outside my house.

Reply to
linnix