What kind of cell is there in a Serial flash?

I am surveying a serial flash for storing data. I found the datasheet do not definitely mention the flowwing issues:

  1. What is there, NOR or NAND type cell, in a SERIAL FLASH?
  2. Is a wear-leveling necessary for a serial Flash?

Is anyone can tell me? Grateful to any comment. Thanks.

Reply to
York

Hmm... Here "serial" means SPI. e.g. Serial Flash from ST:

Serial Flash from Chingistek:

Serial Flash from ATmel:

York

How about the Bad Block Management. Is it neccessary?

Reply to
York

If the blocks are not power-of-two sized eg 528 then the extra bytes are intended for error correction, which means errors are to be expected.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

What point? Please quote the context so us mortals can follow.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

Sorry! (I miss press the reply butt> If the blocks are not power-of-two sized eg 528 then the extra bytes are

Reply to
York

I've been told by an authoritative source that SST serial flash uses exactly the same NOR structure as their parallel flash.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I finally found that almost all Serial Flashes uses NOR gates in their memory cells. Error correcting mechanism is not necessary for NOR type flashes. The wear-leveling is easy since NOR flash is byte- programmable and leaving the factory with no bad memory cell.

Thanks for all you. Thank you.

Jim Stewart wrote:

Reply to
York

What happened to proper attribution. If I'm talking dingo's kidneys then at least tell everyone who said it!

operates.

No, of course not, but it is a hint at how the manufacturer expected the device to be used. Now it code be that the device is a NOR device that emulates a NAND part... And... OK... do you know of any NOR parts that use non-power-of-two sectors or NAND parts that use power-of-two but don't internally do the error correction?

Indeedly-doo!

in

better

OK, so that answers my question above.