What is this chip? MVS PCOC1

It's pin compatable with an 8051 yet has flash and runs a subset of
Athlon/Pentium instructions AND has a built in bios.

My first guess was that it was a ZFx86 but I'm not sure.  Anyone?

http://www.star.net/people/~mvs/pcocspec.txt

Re: What is this chip? MVS PCOC1

It sounds like vaporware. But in any case the "subset of
Athlon/Pentium" looks like 8086 (at a very quick glance).

Re: What is this chip? MVS PCOC1
MVS Support person said it was an 8051 with 8086 instructions but he
couldn't or wouldn't tell me anymore.

Re: What is this chip? MVS PCOC1

 > MVS Support person said it was an 8051 with 8086 instructions but he
 > couldn't or wouldn't tell me anymore.

Did they say if it was a CHIP, or a Module ?

Certainly is a strange animal :

First there is the clock speed, it's not easy to create a
1MHz/4.77MHz/7MHz x86 these days!

Then, the memory is just 6143 bytes of Code?! - and RAM is
just 511 bytes.

and it is not clear just HOW it talks with the VGA ?

Thus it looks to me like a student project brief : To create an x86
emulator, using a SiliconLabs TurboC51 core uC or similar.
The low speed, and miniscule resource would match that.

They show 830 opcodes, so it's like the Byte code of Java, or .NET,
but I do not see any MUL or DIV opcodes.... :)

This would have educational merit, but can't think of any commercial use ?

-jg

Re: What is this chip? MVS PCOC1
It's a chip not a module. Any of the embedded microprocessor can run
at various speeds using the internal clock. I think thier description
says that the 7Mhz version requires a crystal which is in line with
Atmel AVR's.   Most of MVS's other products are just programmed Atmel
chips so I wouldn't be surprized if this were also.

The support person said specifically that it was an 8051 with an 8x86
instruction set which he also said you couldn't get here but you could
get in China.  Not sure I know what to make of that statement.

Apparently MVS has been selling this for years as part of their credit
card computer and have only now just started selling it as the chip
alone.

I'm just curious enough to order one so I can peel of the sticker. I'm
betting that it, like you say, is a flash microprocessor programmer
with an emulator.