What is the lowest-power 32-bit MCU?

Specifically which MCU that can boot Linux has the lowest operating
power? I imagine it would be a low-clock arm, I intend to lower the
clock further for my application. I'm hoping for less than 15mW at 3V,
more like 5mW if at all possible. LCD controller preferable but beside
that and IO lines no other options required.

Has any company come out with low-power series of 32-bit MCUs? I
couldnt find them targetting any such market at the usual places,
atmel, sharp, arm website.

Re: What is the lowest-power 32-bit MCU?

Low clock frequency and low voltage is what you need.
The AT91M40800 is the Atmel candidate.
ARM7TDMI and can run on 1.8V and the design is static, so you may want to
clock it down to 10 MHz, for 0 waitstate operation from std flash.
There is no SDRAM controller on this, so you need to use SRAM.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

I've been debating with myself on how low in MIPS can I go. The
applications are not clear yet, 33MIPS would be terribly nice for a
rudimentary graphic windowing screen on an LCD. 18MHz takes 18mA or
something like that for ARM, but I also found out LCD screens take far
less current than I thought.... 20mA for 320x240 or so. That gives me
room. Now if SRAM and flash take 60mA or less in constant use, I'm
golden.

Its funny how some specs are insufficient, too many arm vendors claim
low power without specifying it anywhere but the ELECTRICAL
CHARACTERISITCS deep down the datasheet, and nowhere at all for most
LCD vendors. I've had tough time for SRAM power specs, and solar panel
vendors usually dont even have a datasheet.

As for the MCU, I'm looking at atmel and cirrus unless someone else
claim lower specs.

Re: What is the lowest-power 32-bit MCU?

A cynic is a man who think courtship is the first in a series of steps
leading to divorce.

--
Lady Chatterly

"Do you think that Alexander Mulligan, a super-eco commune resident
Re: What is the lowest-power 32-bit MCU?

(1) What did you mean?
(2) How is this related to the comp.arch.embedded?
(3) Why is my name in your email address?

Re: What is the lowest-power 32-bit MCU?

It's someone's software trying to emulate a human -- a kind of eliza program
thing.

You can try eliza at:
  http://psych.fullerton.edu/mbirnbaum/psych101/Eliza.htm

But that's about all it is.  Just kill-file it.

Jon

[OT] Eliza

program

Eliza was OK, but I liked Racter better. More than 15 years ago, I think.
The best thing to get Racter started was to ask him to tell a story. I
distinctly remember the phrase "a millisecond in a station wagon is spooky".
ILSHIBAMF

Re: What is the lowest-power 32-bit MCU?

This is also a matter of additional junk hardware.
Using a hub instaed of a switch increases the number of messages
to be processed on the ethernet. A simple ethernet controller
on the bus increases the load proportional to the number of
packets, whereas a busmaster ethernet controller just makes one
interrupt per message.
The same applies for all peripheral devices.

Rene

Re: What is the lowest-power 32-bit MCU?

Don't forget the dynamic power consumption. Charging and discharging a
capacitor costs W=CU**2 Joule, which is P=fCU**2 Watt. If you take
some real life values, then the capacity of a trace is 10pF (probably
much more), the I/O voltage 3.3V and toggling frequency may be 10 MHz.
Under these conditions, one such trace alone costs 1mW. If you toggle
32 data lines and some address lines, then your system consumes easily
50mW. Therefore take a device with internal memory or at least
built-in caches.

Michael

Site Timeline