What is the Best PCB Layout software ? (Money no object)

I've worked with companies that were very reluctant to farm out design work for security reasons. Sometimes managers have to decide whether to hire a new layout person or whether the current employee would be more productive with different tools.

However, I'm not sure that the person posting the request is the person who will be doing the layout. Or, it could be a person with years of experience with a low-end program has finally convinced a manager that a better program would improve productivity.

I generally don't like to make assumptions about the skill levels of people who request information here. If they say that they are beginners, that's one thing. To assume it without explicit evidence can be risky. For all I know it could be a designer with 5 years of Altium experience who is pissed off at some foible of that system. Money may be no object because they've already spent a bunch and have more to spend if they are convinced it would be worthwhile.

I do think that "money is no object" may be a less than perfect description of the situation. I would have said "software cost is not a factor".

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

^^^^^^^^

I think you misspelled "shop for".

--
Grant
Reply to

There are those of us for which designing and laying out a PCB is a hobby. It's something we do for fun. Paying somebody else to do it would be like paying somebody else to go skiing for me.

Sorry don't understand "excess money"... ;)

--
Grant
Reply to

Nice observation. And, as far as hobbies go, you can visit any marina and observe the "money is no object" aspect--often at a scale that overwhelms the cost of a good PCB layout program.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Dont understand "money" well some of my custoers dont :)

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul

Yup. VESA

Nothing a few hundred extra dollars won't solve.. eg. Ergotron.

Of course it's possible to hack something together, especially if you have a bunch of 80/20 lying around.

I wonder what happens when you put a screw that's too long into the mounting holes. Probably nothing good.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

/me scratches head

First time I've seen Windows referred to as a hobby OS.

Are you looking for Linux support? some other Unix variant?

Regards.

Reply to
Noob

No question, i tried out many softwares on the market, and EAGLE'S PCB software is the best in my opinion. The support and tutorials section is great, too!

manu28101992

software is the best in my opinion.

How many 8-layer boards with multiple 200...400 pin BGA devices on it have you desgined using Eagle?

-jm

Reply to
Jukka Marin

Am Montag, 14. Januar 2013 07:25:07 UTC schrieb Jukka Marin:

software is the best in my opinion.

Hey Jukka, I designed several 8-layer boards. But in the last weeks I was short in time and had no new projects.

Btw, i understand the discussion of circuit designing for fun. Back in the days it was a hobby of mine and when it turned out that people are interested in my PCBs, I was fine with it, too.

Reply to
manu28101992